What is the GCF of 18 and 24?
Greatest Common Factor of two or more numbers is the largest possible number which divides the given numbers exactly without any remainder.
Answer: GCF of 18 and 24 is 6
We can find the GCF by the following methods
Methods to Find the GCF of 18 and 24
- Prime factorization Method
- Listing the common factors method
- Long division Method
Method 1: GCF of 24 and 18 by Prime Factorization
Let us represent 24 and 18 as a product of its prime numbers
GCF is the product of the factors that are common to each of the given numbers.
GCF iof 18 and 24 = 2 × 3 = 6
Method 2: GCF of 18 and 24 by Listing the Common Factors
Common Factors of 24 and 18 : 1, 2, 3, 6 and the greatest among them is 6.
Therefore GCF of 24 and 18 is 6
Method 3: GCF of 24 and 18 by Long Division
- Step 1: Divide 24 by 18 and check the remainder.
- Step 2: Make the remainder of the above step as the divisor and the divisor of the above step as the dividend and perform the long division again.
- Step 3: Continue till you get remainder as 0
You can find the GCF in any of the above methods but the solution will be the same.