What is the GCF of 2 and 6?
Greatest Common Factor is a greatest number that is a factor of two or more other numbers.
The GCF (greatest common factor) is the same as: HCF (Highest Common Factor), GCD (Greatest Common Divisor), HCD (Highest Common Divisor), GCM (Greatest Common Measure), HCM (Highest Common Measure)
Answer: GCF of 2 and 6 is 2
Two methods to find the GCF of 2 and 6 are explained below.
Methods to find GCF of 2 and 6
- GCF of 2 and 6 by Prime Factorization
- GCF of 2 and 6 by Long Division
Method1: GCF of 2 and 6 by Prime Factorization
GCF is the product of the factors that are common to each of the given numbers.
Prime factorization of 2 is 2
Prime factorization of 6 is 2 × 3
The occurrences of common prime factors of 2 and 6 is 2
Hence GCF(2, 6) = 2
Method2: GCF of 2 and 6 by Long Division
- Step 1: Divide the larger number by the smaller
- Step 2: Divide the dividend by the remainder obtained in step 1 and repeat this step until we get the remainder as 0
- Step 3: The last dividend is the GCF of the two numbers
We take the larger value 6 as dividend and smaller value 2 as divisor
We will get the GCF same for the given numbers by using different methods.