What is the GCF of 24 and 40?
GCF also known as Greatest common factor of two or more numbers is found by finding all common factors of two numbers and selecting the largest one.
Answer: GCF of 24 and 40 is 8
Two methods to find the GCF of 24 and 40 are explained below.
Methods to Find the GCF of 24 and 40
- GCF of 2 and 6 by Prime Factorization
- GCF of 2 and 6 by Long Division
Method1: GCF of 24 and 40 by Prime Factorization
Let us Prime Factorize 24 and 40
Thus, GCF is the product of the common factors
GCF is 2× 2 × 2 = 8
Method2: GCF of 24 and 40 by Long Division
- Divide 40 by 20 and check the remainder.
- Make the remainder of the above step as the divisor and the divisor of the above step as the dividend and perform the long division again.
- Continue till you get remainder as 0