What is the GCF of 6 and 16?
GCF of 6 and 16 would be a number which is the largest and which also perfectly divides both of these numbers.
Answer: GCF of 6 and 16: 2
There are many ways to find GCF. let us see two of them to find the GCF of 6 and 16
Let us see two methods to find GCF of 6 and 16
- Long division
- Listing the factors
Method 1: Long Division to Find GCF of 6 and 16:
- Take the larger number 16 as the dividend and then the smaller number 6 as the divisor.
- On the first division, the remainder which is obtained will now act as the divisor and the divisor from the previous step as the dividend.
- Continue this division until zero is obtained as the remainder.
- We will take the last Divisor as the GCF of 16 and 6.
GCF of 6 and 16: 2
Method 2: Listing the Factors to find the GCF of 6 and 16:
- Write all the factors of 6 and 16
- Identify the common factors.
- The largest amongst the common factors as the GCF.
Factors of 6: 1, 2, 3, 6
Factors of 16: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16
Common Factors of 6 and 16: 1 and 2
Greatest among the common factors: 2
GCF of 6 and 16 is 2