What is The GCF of 8 and 12?
Greatest Common Factor of two or more numbers is the largest possible number that divides the given numbers exactly without any remainder.
Answer: GCF of 8 and 12 is 4
Let us see how to find the GCF using differet methods
We can find the GCF by the following methods
- Prime factorization Method
- Listing the common factors method
- Long division Method
GCF of 8 and 12 by Prime Factorization
Let us represent 8 and 12 as a product of its prime numbers
GCF is the product of the factors that are common to each of the given numbers.
GCFof 8 and 12 is 2 × 2 = 4
GCF of 8 and 12 by Listing the Common Factors
Common Factors of 8 and 12: 1, 2, and 4
GCF of 8 and 12 is 4
GCF of 8 and 12 by Long Division
- Step 1: Divide 12 by 8 and check the remainder.
- Step 2: Make the remainder of the above step as the divisor and the divisor of the above step as the dividend and perform the long division again.
- Step 3: Continue till you get remainder as 0
You can find the GCF in any of the above methods but the solution will be the same.