What is the HCF of 27 and 36?
The highest common factor of two numbers is the largest possible number which divides both the numbers exactly without any remainder.
Answer: HCF of 27 and 36 is 9
We can find the HCF of the numbers in many ways the commonly used methods are listed below.
Methods to Find HCF of 27 and 36
- Prime factorization Method
- Listing the common factors method
- Long division Method
Method 1: HCF of 27 and 36 by Prime Factorization
In this method, we represent 27 and 36 as a product of its prime numbers
Prime factorization of 27 is 3 × 3 × 3
Prime factorization of 36 is 2 × 2 × 3 × 3
Common factor = 3 × 3
HCF is the product of the factors that are common to each of the given numbers.
HCF is 9
Method 2: HCF of 27 and 36 by Long Division
- Step 1: Divide 36 by 27 and check the remainder.
- Step 2: Make the remainder of the above step as the divisor and the divisor of the above step as the dividend and perform the long division again.
- Step 3: Continue till you get remainder as 0
Irrespective of the method, the solution to our question HCF of 27 and 36 is the same.