How to find the HCF of 60 and 72?
HCF of two numbers 60 and 72 is the largest possible number which divides both the numbers exactly.
Answer: HCF of 60 and 72 is 12
We can find the HCF by the following methods
- Prime factorization Method
- Listing the common factors method
- Long division Method
Method 1: HCF of 60 and 72 by Prime Factorization
Let us represent 60 and 72 as a product of its prime numbers
Prime factorization of 60 is 2 x 2 x 3 x 5
Prime factorization of 72 is 2 x 2 x 2 x 3 x 3
Common factor = 2, 2, 3
HCF is the product of the factors that are common to each of the given numbers.
HCF is 2 x 2 x 3
Method 2: HCF of 60 and 72 by Long Division
- Step 1: Divide 72 by 60 and check the remainder.
- Step 2: Make the remainder of the above step as the divisor and the divisor of the above step as the dividend and perform the long division again.
- Step 3: Continue till you get the remainder as 0. You can find the HCF in any of the above methods but the solution will be the same.