What is the HCF of 867 and 255?
HCF of two numbers 867 and 255 is the largest possible number which divides both the numbers exactly.
Answer: HCF of 867 and 255 is 51
Let us see how to calculate the HCF of 867 and 255
The highest common factor of two numbers is the largest possible number which divides both the numbers exactly without any remainder.
We can find the HCF of the numbers in many ways the commonly used methods are listed below.
Methods to Find HCF of 867 and 255
- Prime factorization Method
- Listing the common factors method
- Long division Method
HCF of 867 and 255 by Prime Factorization
In this method, we represent 867 and 255 as a product of its prime numbers
Prime factorization of 867 is 3 x 17 x 17
Prime factorization of 255 is 3 x 5 x 17
Common factor = 3 x 17
HCF is the product of the factors that are common to each of the given numbers.
HCF is 51
HCF of 867 and 255 by Long Division
- Step 1: Divide 255 by 867 and check the remainder.
- Step 2: Make the remainder of the above step as the divisor and the divisor of the above step as the dividend and perform the long division again.
- Step 3: Continue till you get the remainder as 0
Irrespective of the method, the solution to our question HCF of 867 and 255 is the same.