What is the LCM of 3 and 24?
LCM of 3 and 24 is the smallest number which is completely divisible by both 3 and 24 without leaving any remainder.
Answer: LCM of 3 and 24 is 24
The Least Common Multiple (LCM) of three numbers a and b is the smallest number that is divisible by a and b exactly without leaving any remainder.
The least common multiple of two or more numbers is the smallest number among all common multiples of the given numbers.
- LCM of 3 and 24 by Formula
- LCM of 3 and 24 by Common Division Method
Method 1: LCM of 3 and 24 by Formula
The formula of LCM is LCM (a,b) = (a × b) / GCF (a,b)
The Greatest Common Factor (GCF) of (3, 24) = 3
By using the formula, we get
LCM of 3 and 24 = (3 × 24) / 3
= 1 × 24
LCM (3, 24) = 24
Method 2: LCM of 3 and 24 by Common Division Method
Follow the steps mentioned below to find the LCM of 3 and 24 by the common division method.
- Step 1: Write the numbers 3 and 24 horizontally by separating them with a comma.
- Step 2: Choose the smallest prime number that divides at least any one of them.
- Step 3: Write the quotient in the next row just below the numbers. If any of the numbers are not divided, we will bring it down directly.
- Step 4: We will stop it when we don't have a prime number to divide the given numbers.
- Step 5: Least common multiple of 3 and 24 will be the product of primes by which we have divided.
Observe that the solution to our question LCM of 3 and 24 is the same according to both methods.