What is the LCM of 4 and 7?
The least common multiple or the LCM of 4 and 7 is the smallest number which is a multiple of 4 as well as 7.
Answer: LCM of 4 and 7 is 28
Lets see how to find the LCM of 4 and 7
Least Common Multiple (LCM) of two numbers is the smallest number that divides both the numbers exactly.
Look at one of the methods that use the listing out the common multiples and identifying the LCM of 4 and 7.
Methods to Find LCM of 4 and 7
Let us use the following methods to find the LCM of 4 and 7
- Listing the Multiples
- Common Division
LCM of 4 and 7 by Listing Method
In this method, we list the first few multiples of 4 and 7 and identify the common multiples.
The least among the common multiples is the LCM of 4 and 7.
Here is the quickest way to find the LCM of 4 and 7, the Common Division Method.
LCM of 4 and 7 by Common Division Method
Follow the steps mentioned below to find the LCM of 4 and 7 by the common division method.
- Step 1: Write the numbers 4 and 7 horizontally by separating them with a comma.
- Step 2: Choose the smallest prime number that divides at least any one of them.
- Step 3: Write the quotient in the next row just below the numbers. If any of the numbers are not divided, we will bring it down directly.
- Step 4: We will stop it when we don't have a prime number to divide the given numbers.
- Step 5: Least common multiple of 4 and 7 will be the product of primes by which we have divided.
So, by common division method, we have LCM of 4 and 7 = 2 × 2 × 7 = 28
Irrespective of the method, the solution to our question LCM of 4 and 7 is the same.