What is the LCM of 6 and 16?
The least number which is exactly divisible by both 6 and 16 is called LCM(6, 16) or the least common multiple of 6 and 16.
Answer: LCM of 6 and 16 is 48
Lets see how to find the LCM of 6 and 16
The smallest number which the given numbers divide exactly is called as least common multiple.
Methods to Find LCM of 6 and 16
LCM of the numbers can be found using:
- Common division method
- Formula method
- List of multiples method.
LCM(6, 16) by Common Division Method
In this division method,
- we divide the numbers simultaneously with prime numbers and
- continue the process and we conclude the process when we are left with no prime number that divides the numbers exactly.
LCM(6, 16) by Empirical Formula
The formula of LCM is LCM(a,b) = ( a × b) / GCF (a,b)
The greatest common factor or highest common factor of (6, 16) = 2
By substituting in the formula, we get,
LCM of 6 and 16 = (6 × 16) / 2
= 96/2 = 48
LCM of 6 and 16 = 48
LCM of 6 and 16 by Listing Method
In this method,
- we list the first few multiples of 6 and 16 and
- identify the common multiples.
LCM of 6 and 16 is the least among the common multiples.
Irrespective of the method, the LCM(6, 16) is 48. It is unique for a given set of numbers.