What is the LCM of 60 and 72?
The least common multiple of 60 and 72 is the smallest number that is the multiple of 60 and 72
Answer: LCM of 60 and 72 is 360
Least Common Multiple of x and y is the smallest number that divides x and y exactly.
We will explain two methods to find LCM of 60 and 72.
- Listing Method
- Common Division Method
LCM of 60 and 72 by Listing Method
In this method, we list the first few multiples of 60 and 72 and identify the common multiples.
The least among the common multiples is the LCM of 60 and 72
We observe that 360 is the least number that is the multiple of 60 and 72. So, LCM (60, 72) = 360
LCM of 60 and 72 by Common Division Method
Follow the steps mentioned below to find the LCM of 60 and 72 by the common division method.
- Step 1: Write the numbers 60 and 72 horizontally by separating them with a comma.
- Step 2: Choose the smallest prime number that divides at least any one of them.
- Step 3: Write the quotient in the next row just below the numbers. If any of the numbers are not divided, we will bring it down directly.
- Step 4: We will stop it when we don't have a prime number to divide the given numbers.
- Step 5: Least common multiple of 60 and 72 will be the product of primes by which we have divided.
So, by common division method, we have LCM of 60 and 72 = 2 × 2 × 2 × 3 × 3 × 5 = 360
Irrespective of the method, the solution to our question LCM of 60 and 72 is the same.