What is the LCM of 8 and 16?
The least common multiple of 8 and 16 is the least number which is exactly divisible by both 8 and 16.
Answer: LCM of 8 and 16 is 16
Lets see how to find the LCM of 8 and 16
The Least Common Multiple of two numbers a and b is the smallest number that divides a and b exactly.
We can find the LCM of the numbers in many ways.
Methods to Find LCM of 8 and 16
Let us use the following methods to find the LCM of 8 and 16
- Listing the Multiples
- Common Division
Find LCM of 8 and 16 by Listing Method
We list the first few multiples of 8 and 16 and then identify the common multiples of 8 and 16
The least among the common multiples is the LCM of 8 and 16
The least among the common multiples of 8 and 16 is the number 16
So, LCM of 8 and 16 is 16
Find LCM of 8 and 16 by Common Division Method
Follow the steps mentioned below to find the LCM of 8 and 16 by the common division method.
- Step 1: Write the numbers 8 and 16 horizontally by separating them with a comma.
- Step 2: Choose the smallest prime number that divides at least any one of them.
- Step 3: Write the quotient in the next row just below the numbers. If any of the numbers are not divided, we will bring it down directly.
- Step 4: We will stop it when we don't have a prime number to divide the given numbers.
- Step 5: Least common multiple of 8 and 16 will be the product of primes by which we have divided.
So, using the common division method, LCM of 8 and 16 is 16
Irrespective of the method, the solution to our question LCM of 8 and 16 is the same.