When you have one child, you become a parent; if you have two, you become a referee!
If you have more than one child, you are probably aware of the harsh truth that your kids quarrel. Although you might capture serene moments of them playing together peacefully, it can be disrupted at any moment because of a misunderstanding. Fortunately, you are not alone.
Parents have been looking for ages for ways to help siblings get along without quarrelling. If you are looking for a similar solution, you have come to the right place!
It's not our job to toughen our children up to face a cruel and heartless world. It's our job to raise children who will make the world a little less cruel and heartless.
- Get To The Root Of The Problem: Rather than listening half-heartedly to both sides' complaints, take a few minutes to find out what caused the quarrel in the first place. Sometimes parents tend to blame the elder child without listening to the whole story. This will instigate them to continue their dispute, albeit passive-aggressively, which will blow up later on.
- Turn On Praises: Rather than always playing the mediator, take the time to praise your kids when you find them getting along or helping each other out. This will encourage better behaviour down the road.
- Agreeing to Disagree: Teach your kids the heart of disagreeing respectfully rather than going on full-fledged war mode. You can even be a role model and show them how it works!
- Taking Turns: Fights often occur among siblings when they are trying to share something. This is where you bring in rules for taking turns. Depending on what they want to share, you can set time limits for each person, thereby eliminating any reason to fight.
- Withhold Judgement: Parents unconsciously tend to back the younger kids when siblings fight. Although this may be a natural urge, you need to put an end to it and start looking at the big picture before intervening.
So, the next time you catch your kiddos fighting for the remote, you know what to do! With these tips in your armoury, you are ready to turn your household in to a peaceful place you have always dreamt of!
We understand that parenting is hard, and especially getting kids to learn is harder. However, any solution to minimise sibling fights will make this jouney much smoother and enjoyable for you!