Which of the following is/are not true about the median of a trapezoid?
(a). The median connects the endpoints of the bases of a trapezoid.
(b). The length of the median is half the sum of the lengths of the bases.
(c). The length of the median is half the difference of the lengths of the bases.
(d). The median connects the midpoints of the bases of a trapezoid.
A trapezoid is a four-sided closed 2D figure which has an area and its perimeter. Two sides of a trapezoid are parallel to each other and they are termed as the bases of the trapezoid.
Answer: Options (a) and (c) are not true about the median of a trapezoid.
Let us go through the explanation to understand better.
A trapezoid is referred to as the quadrilateral with two parallel sides. The parallel sides are known as its bases and the non-parallel sides are known as its legs.
Types of trapezoid:
There are three different types of trapezoid:
1) Scalene trapezoid: When neither the sides nor the angles of the trapezoid are equal, then it is a scalene trapezoid.
2) Right trapezoid: It also called the right-angled trapezoid, has a pair of right angles.
3) Isosceles trapezoid: If the legs or non-parallel sides of the trapezoid are equal in length, then it is called an isosceles trapezoid. The angles of the parallel sides (base) in the isosceles trapezoid are equal to each other.
Properties of the median of the trapezoid:
There are two main properties of the median of a trapezoid. They are:
1) The median connects the midpoints of the bases of a trapezoid.
2) The length of the median is half the sum of the lengths of the bases.