from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
What is Proportions Calculator?
Proportions Calculator helps to compute the value of an unknown variable (x or y), by converting the given proportion into an equation. The symbols "::" or "=" are used to denote a proportion. To use the proportions calculator, enter the values in the given input boxes.
NOTE: Enter ratio 1 and ratio 2 up to three digits and number upto five digits only and enter positive values only.
How to Use Proportions Calculator?
Follow the given steps to determine the value of the unknown variable by using the online proportions calculator.
- Step 1: Go to Cuemath's online proportions calculator.
- Step 2: Enter the values in the given input boxes and select the variable whose value needs to be determined (x or y).
- Step 3: Click on the "Solve" button to find the value of x or y.
- Step 4: Click on the "Reset" button to clear the fields and enter new values.
How Does Proportions Calculator Work?
Ratios and proportions are used when quantities need to be compared. Suppose we have a proportion given by x : y = c : d. This proportion can also be represented as x : y :: c : d or x / y = c / d. x : y and c : d are the two ratios that are equivalent to each other. Here, d is the fourth proportional to x, y, and c. Further, c is the third proportional to x, and y. √(xy) is the mean proportional between x and y. There are two types of proportions namely, direct proportions and inverse proportions. In a direct proportion there is a direct variation between two quantities, and if one quantity increases the other also increases. In contrast, if one quantity increases while the other decreases then it is known as an inverse proportion. The steps given below are used to determine the value of an unknown in a proportion:
- Express the given proportion as x / y = c / d.
- If we know y, c, and d then the formula to calculate x is given by x = (c / d) * y.
- If we know x, c, and d then the formula to calculate y is given by y = (d / c) * x.
Solved Examples on Proportions Calculator
Find the value of y in the proportion 12 : y = 4 : 3 and verify it using the online proportions calculator.
The given proportion is 12 : y = 4 : 3
12 / y = 4 / 3
y = (3 / 4) * 12
y = 9.
Find the value of x in the proportion x : 7 = 14 : 49 and verify it using the online proportions calculator.
The given proportion is x : 7 = 14 : 49.
x / 7 = 14 / 49
x = (14 / 49) * 7
x = 2
Now, try the proportions calculator to find the value of the unknown in each of the following proportions.
- 18 : y = 3 : 16
- x : 11 = 22 : 44
☛ Related Articles:
☛ Math Calculators: