from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
Rounding calculator rounds off the number to the nearest chosen place value. Rounding numbers is the process by which a number can be simplified by converting it to a value that the number was originally closer to.
What is a Rounding Calculator?
Rounding Calculator is an online tool that helps to round off the whole number to the nearest tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, hundred thousands, or millions place value. Rounding off a number helps to simplify calculations by adjusting the values of the digits. To use this rounding calculator, enter the value in the input box.
NOTE: Enter integers only.
How to Use the Rounding Calculator?
Follow the steps given below to use the rounding calculator to round off the number.
- Step 1: Go to Cuemath’s online rounding calculator.
- Step 2: Enter the number in the input box of the rounding calculator and choose the nearest round-off place value from the drop-down list.
- Step 3: Click on the "Calculate" button to find the round-off value depending on the requirement.
- Step 4: Click on the "Reset" button to clear the fields and enter new values.
How Does Rounding Calculator Works?
Before rounding off a value there are certain rules that need to be adhered to. These are listed as follows:
- Rule 1: Any non-zero digit in a number is considered significant.
- Rule 2: Any zero that appears between non-zero digits is also considered significant.
- Rule 3: Suppose we have a whole number. The zero that is placed to the right of a non-zero digit is significant.
- Rule 4: If we are rounding off a digit that is less than 5, then the digit that follows is left unchanged.
- Rule 5: If we are rounding off a digit that is greater than or equal to 5, then the digit that follows is increased by 1.
- Rule 6: Suppose we are rounding off a digit that has a higher place value (hundreds, thousands, and so on) then the lower place value digits are ignored.
When we round off a number, the result obtained is a less accurate value. However, it can be helpful in performing calculations where we need an estimate.
Solved Examples on Rounding Calculator
Round off 568 to the nearest tens and verify it using the rounding calculator.
To round off 568 to the nearest tens, we see that the digit at ones place is 8, which is more than 5.
Therefore, we increase the tens digit by 1 and replace the ones digit by 0.
Thus, 568 becomes 570.
Round off 568 to the nearest hundreds and verify it using the rounding calculator.
To round off 568 to the nearest tens, we see that the digit at hundreds place is 5.
We increase this value by 1 and ignore the lower digits.
Thus, 568 becomes 600.
Now, you can use the rounding calculator and round off the following numbers:
- 601 to the nearest hundreds
- 189 to the nearest tens
- 5271 to the nearest ones
☛ Related Articles:
☛ Math Calculators: