A class teacher has the following absentee record of 40 students of a class for the whole term. Find the mean number of days a student was absent
We will use Assumed Mean Method to solve this question because the data given is large.
When the numerical values of xᵢ and fᵢ are large, then finding the product of xᵢ and fᵢ becomes tedious. We can change each xᵢ to a smaller number so that our calculations become easy. Now we have to subtract a fixed number from each of these xᵢ.
- The first step is to choose one value among xᵢ as the assumed mean and denote it by ‘ a ’. Also, to further reduce our calculation work, we may take ‘ a ’ to be that xᵢ which lies in the center of x₁, x₂, . . ., xₙ. So, we can choose a.
- The second step is to find the difference ‘ dᵢ ’. That is the difference between a and each of the xᵢ. The deviation of ‘ a ’ from each of the xᵢ. i.e., dᵢ = xᵢ - a
- The third step is to find the product of dᵢ with the corresponding fᵢ. After that take the sum of all the fᵢdᵢ.
Now use the values in the below formula
Mean, (x) = a + Σfᵢdᵢ/ Σfᵢ
We know that, Class mark, xᵢ = (Upper class limit + Lower class limit )/2
Taking assumed mean, a = 17
From the table, we obtain, Σfᵢ = 40 and Σfᵢuᵢ = - 181
Mean, (x) = a + (Σfᵢdᵢ/ Σfᵢ)
= 17 + (- 181/40)
= 17 - 4.525
Thus, the mean number of days a student was absent is 12.48
A class teacher has the following absentee record of 40 students of a class for the whole term. Find the mean number of days a student was absent.
NCERT Solutions for Class 10 Maths Chapter 14 Exercise 14.1 Question 8
The mean number of days a student was absent based on the absentee record of 40 students of a class for the whole term is 12.48 using the assumed mean method.
☛ Related Questions:
- The following distribution shows the daily pocket allowance of children of a locality. The mean pocket allowance is ₹ 18. Find the missing frequency f.
- Thirty women were examined in a hospital by a doctor and the number of heartbeats per minute were recorded and summarised as follows. Find the mean heartbeats per minute for these women, choosing a suitable method.
- In a retail market, fruit vendors were selling mangoes kept in packing boxes. These boxes contained varying number of mangoes. The following was the distribution of mangoes according to the number of boxes. Find the mean number of mangoes kept in a packing box. Which method of finding the mean did you choose?
- The table below shows the daily expenditure on food of 25 households in a locality. Find the mean daily expenditure on food by a suitable method.