from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
Straight Lines Class 11 Formulas
Straight lines class 11 formulas play an important role in studying various properties of a straight line and its graphical representation. By memorizing straight line formulas students can logically derive solutions and plot them on the graph. Straight Lines Class 11 formulas are efficiently covered below with examples and tips to offer quick revision during exams.
List of Straight Lines Class 11 Formulas
Some basic formulas covered under straight lines class 11 formulas are related to finding the distance between two points, the distance of a point from a line, the equation of a line, etc. Here is the list of the few most important straight lines class 11 formulas:
- Slope of line passing through the points (x1, y1) and (x2,y2):
m = (y2 - y1) /(x2 - x1).
- Equation of a line when it makes intercepts ‘a’ and ‘b’ on the x-and y-axis:
x/a + y/b = 1.
- Any point (x, y) with slope ‘m’ and y-intercept ‘c’ lies on the line if only y = mx + c.
- Any line with slope ‘m’ that has x-intercept as ‘d’, in that case, its equation is y = m (x – d).
Applications of Straight Line Class 11 Formulas
Straight Line Class 11 Formulas are widely applied in construction work, mechanical engineering, designing, seismology, oceanography, phonetics, architecture, etc. Many routine calculations in the various fields apply straight line formulas. Here are some of the common applications of straight line class 11 formulas:
- Straight line class 11 formulas are applied in the research process to represent the budget.
- These formulas are also used in chemistry and biology for various research purposes.
- Representation of various physical quantities like oscillations, electromagnetic waves, mechanical waves, etc has a lot of application of straight line class 11 formulas.
Tips to Memorize Straight Line Class 11 Formulas
Here are some important tips to memorize straight line class 11 formulas:
- The first step towards memorizing straight line class 11 formulas is to precisely understand the meaning of slope, intersect along with the other terms involved in it. Students should form an accurate understanding of each and every concept to apply these formulas.
- Students should try to eliminate all their doubts and errors by referring to the interactive expert-led study material online or by reaching out to their concerned teacher.
- Step by step deriving straight line formulas is also an excellent approach to enhance the foundational knowledge of all underlying concepts.
- After having crystal clear knowledge of the terms used in formulas students can try to use some fun tricks like phrases to remember them better.
- Students can download and set the straight line formulas images as wallpaper on their devices which will help them ensure a quick revision while they use their mobiles, tablets or laptops.
- Students should practice lots and lots of problems and examples given in the textbook. It will provide optimal coverage of the usage of formulas in different contexts.
Straight Lines Class 11 Formulas Examples
Example: Write the equation of a straight line that passes through the points (1, 2) and (-3, 4).
Solution: To find the equation of the line passing through given points we will apply the formula point-slope form.
First, we find the slope of the line.
Slope = (4-2)/(-3-1) = -1/2
Therefore, the equation of the line passing through (1, 2) and (-3, 4) is y - 4 = (-1/2) (x + 3)
⇒ y - 4 = -x/2 - 3/2
⇒ y + x/2 = 4 - 3/2
⇒ x + 2y = 10/2
The required equation is x + 2y = 5.
Students can download the printable Maths Formulas Class 11 sheet from below.
FAQs On Straight Lines Class 11 Formulas
What are the Most Important Straight Lines Class 11 Formulas?
Some of the most important formulas covered under straight lines class 11 formulas are:
- Slope of line passing through the points (x1, y1) and (x2,y2) is m = (y2 - y1) /(x2 - x1).
- Equation of a line when it makes intercepts ‘a’ and ‘b’ on the x-and y-axis: x/a + y/b = 1
- Equation of any line with slope ‘m’ that has x-intercept ‘d’ is y=m (x – d).
Why is it Important to Solve Problems Based on Straight Lines Class 11 Formulas?
Solving multiple problems based on straight lines class 11 formulas will enable students to enhance their understanding of concepts related to this topic and their applications. Students can develop discreet problem-solving skills with the regular practice of questions based on straight line formulas. It also helps students in the preparation for exams.
How Many Straight Line Class 11 Formulas are There?
There are around 4 main straight line class 11 formulas. Students should thoroughly understand each and every one of them along with the practice problems based on them. A clear understanding of the terms and concepts related to straight line class 11 formulas will be helpful in solving a variety of problems from this topic.
How to Download the Straight Line Class 11 Formulas pdf?
Students can download the straight line class 11 formulas pdf through the option provided on this page. Enter your phone number to receive OTP. Provide the OTP to automatically download the formula sheet on your device.