Greater Than Less than Fraction Calculator
A Greater Than Less Than Fraction Calculator is an online tool that compares two given fractions according to their value.
What is a Greater Than Less than Fraction Calculator?
A Greater Than Less Than Fraction Calculator is an online tool that compares two given fractions according to their value. This calculator displays the result of comparison by a symbol within a few seconds.
Note: Enter numbers up to 2 digits.
How to Use the Greater than Less Fraction than Calculator?
Follow the steps given below to use the calculator:
- Step 1: Enter the two fractions in the respective input boxes.
- Step 2: Click on "Compare" to compare the fraction with the help of the sign displayed in the answer.
- Step 3 : Click on "Reset" to clear the fields and enter the new fractions.
How do we Compare Fractions?
Comparing the value of two fractions means to check which fraction is greater than, less than, or equal to the other one. We use the symbol ' > ' to show the comparison. For example, let us compare fractions a/b and c/d.
- Here, if a/b is greater than c/d, we write it as: a/b > c/d.
- Similarly, if a/b is less than c/d, we write it as: a/b < c/d.
- If a/b is equal to c/d, we write it as: a/b = c/d.
Compare the fractions 3/4 and 5/6.
The first fraction = 3/4; the second fraction = 5/6
To compare the two fractions, we will follow the procedure given below:
- We need to get a common denominator in both the fractions so that the numerators can be compared. This can be done by multiplying the numerator and denominator of the fraction by the same number. This will give a fraction with an equivalent value and the denominators will be common.
- To compare 3/4 and 5/6, we know that the Least Common Multiple (LCM) of the denominators is 12. So, we will multiply the numerator and denominator of the first fraction 3/4 by 3, to get 12 as the denominator. (3×3)/(4×3)= 9/12.
- Similarly, we will multiply the numerator and denominator of the second fraction 5/6 by 2, to get 12 as the denominator. (5×2)/(6×2)= 10/12. Now, when we compare 9/12 and 10/12, we know that 10/12 is greater than 9/12.
- Therefore, 5/6 > 3/4.
Now, you can use the calculator to compare the following sets of fractions.
- 3/8 and 5/9
- 4/12 and 3/4
- 5/10 and 2/5