Equation Calculator is a free online tool that solves a simple equation and displays the value of the variable. The general form of a simple equation is ax + b = 0, where x is the variable, a is the coefficient and b is the constant.
What is an Equation Calculator?
Equation calculator computes the value of a variable in the given equation. When two algebraic expressions are connected together by an "equal to" sign (=) an equation is formed. The variable in an equation is also referred to as the unknown. To use the equation calculator, enter the equation in the input box.
How to Use the Equation Calculator?
Follow these simple steps to find the value of x in an equation using the equation calculator.
- Step 1: Go to Cuemath's online equation calculator.
- Step 2: Enter any simple equation in the form of ax +b = c, in the input box.
- Step 3: Click on "Solve" to get the value of x.
- Step 4: Click on "Reset" to clear the field and enter the new equation.
How Does an Equation Calculator Work?
There are many types of equations such as linear equations, quadratic equations, cubic equations, etc. Simple equations are also known as linear equations in one variable. These are equations in which there is only one variable whose degree is 1. This also implies that 1 is the highest power that the variable (here x) can be raised to. Furthermore, such equations will have only one solution. The method to solve such equations is given below:
- Bring all the terms with variables to the left-hand side (L.H.S) of the equation.
- Shift all the constant terms to the right-hand side (R.H.S) of the equation.
- Using the required mathematical operations solve the R.H.S.
- If the variable (x) does not have a coefficient then the value obtained in step 3 will be the solution to that equation.
- If the variable (x) has a coefficient then we divide the R.H.S by this number. This will give us the value of x.
Solved Examples on Equation
Example 1: Solve the equation 2x - 6 = 3 and verify it using the equation calculator
2x - 6 = 3
2x = 3 + 6
2x = 9
x = 4.5
The value of x is 4.5
Example 2: Solve the equation 3x + 8 = 5x and verify it using the equation calculator
3x + 8 = 5x
3x - 5x = -8
-2x = -8
x = 4
The value of x is 4
Now, use the equation calculator to find the solution of the following equations:
- 4x + 2x = 18
- 7x - 9 = 12
☛ Math Calculators: