Y Intercept Calculator
Y intercept calculator helps to compute the value of the y-intercept when we are given a linear equation in two variables. The point where a graph crosses the y-axis is known as the y-intercept. We know that the x-coordinate of any point on the y-axis is 0. So the x-coordinate of a y-intercept is 0.
What is the Y Intercept Calculator?
Y intercept Calculator is an online tool that helps to calculate the value of the y-intercept when the graph of the given equation intersects with the y-axis. For any given graph there can be two intercepts - x-intercept and y-intercept. To use the y intercept calculator, enter the values in the given input boxes.
Y Intercept Calculator
How to Use Y Intercept Calculator?
Please follow the steps given below to find the value of the y-intercept using the y intercept calculator:
- Step 1: Go to Cuemath's online y intercept calculator.
- Step 2: Enter the coefficients in the given input boxes.
- Step 3: Click on the "Calculate" button to find the value of the y-intercept.
- Step 4: Click on the "Reset" button to clear the fields and enter new values.
How Does Y Intercept Calculator Work?
The point at which graph of a given function cuts either the x-axis or the y-axis is known as the x-intercept or y-intercept respectively. The y-intercept will be a point that will have a y coordinate and its x coordinate will be equal to zero.
The coordinates of the y-intercept will be of the form (0, y). Similarly, the x intercept will have an x coordinate and the y coordinate will be equal to 0. It can be written as (x, 0). Suppose we have a straight line represented by the general equation, ax + by + c. To find the y-intercept of this line we follow the steps given below:
- We know that the x coordinate of the y intercept will be 0. Thus, we substitute x = 0 in the equation ax + by + c = 0.
- We get a(0)+ by + c =0. Or by + c = 0.
- Now we shift the constant, c, to the R.H.S (right-hand side) of the equation; by = -c.
- Now we divide both sides of the equation by the coefficient of y; y = - c/b. This will be the y-intercept of the given line.
- Hence, the coordinates of the y-intercept will be represented as (0, -c/b).
Solved Examples on Y Intercept Calculator
Find the y-intercept for given equation 3x + 5y + 6 = 0 and verify it using the online y intercept calculator.
Given equation: 3x + 5y + 6 = 0
y-intercept is (0, -c/b)
= (0, -6/5) = (0, - 1.2)
Find the y-intercept for given equation 1.3x + 0.6y - 2.4 = 0 and verify it using the online y intercept calculator.
Given equation: 1.3x + 0.5y - 2.4 = 0
y-intercept is (0, -c / b)
= (0, -(-2.4) / 0.6) = (0, 4)
Similarly, you can use the y intercept calculator to find the value of y-intercept for the following:
- 5x - 4y + 4 = 0
- 7x + 6y - 8 = 0
☛ Related Articles:
☛ Math Calculators: