Section Formula Class 10
Section formula class 10 is used to find the coordinates of a point that splits a line segment internally or externally into a ratio of m:n. The use of the section formula in coordinate geometry is mostly for calculating the incenter, centroid and excenters of a triangle. The section formula is also used in other subjects like Physics.
List of Section Formula Class 10
Students can refer to the list of Section formula class 10 below:
Section formula for the coordinates (x, y) of a point O that breaks the line segment joining the points P(x1, y1) and Q(x2, y2) in the ratio m1 : m2 is:
- Section formula for internal division:
O(x, y) = x = m1x2 + m2x1/m1+ m2 and y = m1y2 + m2y1/m1+ m2
- Section formula for external division:
O(x, y) = x = ((m1x2 - m2x1)/m1+ m2 , y = (m1y2 - m2y1)/m1+ m2)
- Midpoint formula is: M(x, y) = [(x2 + x1)/ 2, (y2 + y1)/2]
Applications of Section Formula Class 10
Section formula is applicable in the study of various subjects including geometry and physics. Here are some examples of the application of the section formula class 10:
- Section formula class 10 is applied in numerous calculations of mathematics and physics. In mathematics, the use of section formula can be observed in finding the centroid, incenters, or excenters of a triangle, etc.
- In Physics, the section formula is used in calculations related to finding equilibrium points, the center of mass of systems and others.
Tips to Memorize Section Formula Class 10
Memorizing the section formula class 10 is important for students to solve various types of questions based on them. Here are a few simple tips for students to remember formula easily:
- Students should develop a logical understanding of formulas rather than rote memorization. Thorough knowledge of all terms and concepts used in the class 10 section formula will aid students in understanding the formula logically.
- Students must practice many formula-based problems to get well-versed with the various scenarios where formulas can be applied. Applying section formulas in different scenarios will let students memorize them better and faster.
- Find some interactive resources like visualized simulations and worksheets to learn the application of these formulas.
Section Formula Class 10 Examples
Example: Determine the coordinates of point S(x,y) that divides the line segment joining
the points P(5, – 5) and Q(10, 5) in the ratio 4 : 1 internally.
Solution: Let S(x, y) be the point that divides the line segment.
Using the section formula, we get
x = 4(10) + 1(5) /4 + 1 = 9
y =4(5) +1(–5)/4 + 1 = 3
Therefore, (9, 3) is the required point.
Students can download the printable Maths Formulas Class 10 sheet from the link given below.
FAQs on Section Formulas for Class 10
What are the Important Formulas Covered Under Section Formula Class 10?
The important section formula class 10 are as listed below:
- Section formula for internal division: P(x, y) = x = m1x2 + m2x1/m1+ m2 and y = m1y2 + m2y1/m1+ m2.
- Section formula for external division: P(x, y) = x = ((m1x2 - m2x1)/m1+ m2 , y = (m1y2 - m2y1)/m1+ m2)
- Midpoint formula: M(x, y) = [(x2 + x1)/ 2, (y2 + y1)/2]
What are the Basic Formulas Covered Under Section Formula Class 10?
The basic formulas covered under section formula class 10 include section formula for internal division, midpoint and external division. These formulas form the base to understand the application of this topic in detail. Hence, students must focus on understanding these formulas along with the terms involved in them. The examples provided on this page will help students apply these formulas for solving questions. Additionally, there are some useful memorization tips to easily learn these formulas thoroughly without much stress.
Why is it Important to Memorize Section Formula Class 10?
Memorizing section formula class 10 will benefit students in many ways. It enables them in determining the section of a point from a line, as well as midpoints and the section division ratio of lines. The important formulas covered under section formula class 10 are listed above on this page.
How to Download Section Formula Class 10 pdf?
Students can simply download the section formula class 10 pdf through the download option available on this page. For downloading this sheet, students need to provide a phone number. After providing a phone number they will receive an OTP. On entering the OTP, the pdf will automatically download on their device.