from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
A compass is a tool used to draw circles. The size circles vary depending on the radius of the circle that is drawn using the compass. While drawing a circle, it is always preferred to draw using a compass as it helps in constructing a circle accurately. In this lesson, we will learn how to draw using a compass and more about the tool compass.
|1.||What is Meant by Compass?|
|2.||Parts of a Compass|
|2.||Drawing with a Compass|
|3.||Solved Examples on Compass Drawing|
|4.||Practice Questions on Compass Drawing|
|5.||FAQs on Compass Drawing|
What is Meant by Compass?
The word compass literally means "encircle" which in other words is also called "to go around". A compass is an instrument that is usually a metal or plastic V-shaped drawing tool. It majorly consists of two movable arms, which are hinged together. It is used to draw circles or the parts of circles called arcs. A compass is also called a pair of compasses. Types of drawing compass include- beam compass, scribe compass, loose leg divider, and proportional compass. A compass is used in mathematics for drawing and drafting to create arcs, circles, or other geometric figures that can be determined by measuring intersecting line segments. It can be used to bisect lines, bisecting angles, find midpoints, help solve problems in geometry, and for measuring distances or more precise distances on the maps.
Parts of a Compass
As a compass has two arms, one arm holds a pencil while the other arm has a pointed end. A compass is designed for the users to grip it between their thumb and pointer finger. Keeping the same in mind, the handle length of the drawing compass is about 1.25 centimeters. The arms of the compass. The space between the compass arms is adjustable. If we keep the arms of the compass apart, it is easier to construct a circle or arc with a greater radius. There is a clamp on one end to hold a pencil whereas, on the other end, there is a sharp point that keeps the tool steady on the drawing surface while the pencil moves.
It is the handle of a compass. We hold it between our forefinger and thumb. Normally only one hand is used to draw a circle. The compass is turned by twisting between the forefinger and thumb.
It is the point that is placed at the center of the circle. The pencil tip is turned around this point. The gap between the compass needle and the pencil tip is the radius of the circle. It is set using a ruler. The gap can be changed by changing the angle between the arms of the compass.
Hold For a Pencil
A sharp pencil is clamped tightly at this place. The tip of the pencil is aligned to the compass needle by bringing the tip of the pencil and compass needle closer. Once, their tips have matched, the compass can be used to construct circles.
Drawing With a Compass
It is possible to construct circles, arcs, bisect lines, angles bisectors and determine midpoints using a compass. The steps to draw a circle using a compass are:
- Step 1: Choose a measurement for the arc or circle to be drawn.
- Step 2: We place the sharp point of the compass at the center of the intended circle or arc.
- Step 3: Press down the needle, turn the knob at the top of the compass to draw a circle or arc, and drag the pencil around the center to draw the curve.
Tips to Remember
- Just make sure that the hinge at the top of the compass is tightened so that it does not slip.
- Do not apply any pressure to the pencil but tighten the hold for the pencil else the width of the circle will get changed.
- It should be taken care that the pencil lead is aligned with the compass's needle.
- A drawing compass can draw circles on any specific material (wood, metal, plastic, etc). All you have to do is, put the needle on the surface/ page, on which the circle has to be drawn, fix it and rotate the other arm around while keeping the same angle on the hinge.
Topics Related to Compass Drawing
Example 1: How would Halsey be able to draw a circle of 7 inches with a center point marked, accurately?
Solution: Hasley can surely opt for any round objects and trace that, or even use a string, but in order to get accurate results, she should go for a compass. Hence, she will use a drawing compass for the construction of a circle.
Example 2: Ashley wants to know if a line segment of length 4 units can be drawn, using a ruler and a compass. James gave her the following steps to draw:
Step 1: Draw a line of any length and mark a point A on the line, which is the starting point of the line segment.
Step 2: Use a ruler and place the pointer of the compass 4 units, apart from the pencil’s lead.
Step 3: Place the pointer of the compass at A. Mark an arc on the line with the pencil point.
Step 4: Mark the point where the arc and the line intersect, call it, B.
Step 5: AB is the required line segment, having length = 4 units.
Let's follow these steps and explore!
Solution: The compass drawing for the line segment length of 4 units is shown as:
Example 3: Fred is fond of geometry. He used to draw circles using a compass, for creating various Art designs. He faced problems when he was asked by her teacher to construct a circle of known radius, let's say 5 units. Let's help him in drawing a circle of radius 5 units.
Solution: To draw a circle with a known radius, we need a compass and a ruler. The compass drawing for a circle is made by using the following steps:
Step 1: Open the compass, measure the length of 5 units using a ruler.
Step 2: Mark a point O, use it as the center of the circle.
Step 3: Put the pointer on this point, point O.
Step 4: Turn the compass, drag the pencil around the center, to make a complete circle.
Try to do it in one instance.
FAQs on Compass Drawing
How to Draw a Circle Without a Compass?
We can use circular objects like bangles or strings to draw a circle without a compass.
What is the Use of Compass?
A compass is a tool that is used for geometric constructions like circles, arcs, line bisectors, and angle bisector. It can also be used to determine the midpoints, solve problems geometry-based problems, and for measuring precise distances on a map.
Which Tool Can be Used to Draw 90 Degree Angle?
Either a compass and ruler or a protractor can be used to draw a 90-degree angle.
How to Use a Compass While Drawing Properly?
We make sure the below-given points are followed:
- We need to tighten the hinge at the top of the compass so that it does not slip.
- The hold for the pencil is tight so that it should not slip but do not apply any pressure to the pencil else the width of the circle changes.
- The pencil lead must be aligned with the compass's needle.
How Do You Use a Drawing Compass?
We use a drawing compass by following the below steps:
- Step 1: Choose a measurement for the arc or circle to be drawn.
- Step 2: Place the sharp point of the compass at the center of the intended circle or arc.
- Step 3: Pressing down the needle, turning the knob at the top of the compass to draw a circle or arc, and draging the pencil around the center.
Which are the Types of Drawing Compasses?
There are four types of drawing compasses:
- Beam compass
- Scribe compass
- Loose leg divider
- Proportional compass