from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
Class 1 Maths
Class 1 Maths is the foundation of a child’s mathematical learning. It focuses on transforming ‘activity learning’ into academic skills. In class 1 maths, students often develop the primary understanding of numbers, arithmetic operations, geometry, patterns, measurements, and currency. The class 1 maths syllabus covers topics like counting, reading and writing numerals from 1 to 9, addition and subtraction using pictures, and so on.
Class 1 Maths Syllabus
Class 1 Maths syllabus is thoroughly prepared to help young learners acquire basic mathematical concepts with ease. The syllabus has topics related to shapes, numbers, addition, subtraction, and more. Here is the complete syllabus of Class 1 Maths.
Shapes and Spatial Understanding
Recognizing two-dimensional shapes (2D shapes) and developing a vocabulary of spatial relationships like near, far, top, bottom, above, below, on, inside, under, and outside.
- Building a basic understanding of numbers.
- Counting and performing addition/subtraction of numbers from one to nine.
- Observing objects and making collections of objects.
- Arranging the group of objects in order through 1-to-1 correspondence
- Counting objects in a collection or group.
- Making a group of objects corresponding to a specific number.
- Identifying and telling number names from 1 to 9.
- Using numbers from 1 to 9 for counting and comparison.
- Reading and writing numerals from 1 to 9.
- Adding and subtracting using pictures and objects.
- Adding and subtracting the numbers by using the addition ‘+’ and subtraction ‘-’ symbols.
Numbers from (10 – 20)
- Forming sequence from 10 to 20.
- Counting objects using numbers.
- Grouping objects into tens.
- Developing the vocabulary related to groups of ‘tens’ and ‘ones’.
- Representing the group of tens and ones through drawing.
- Counting the number of tens and ones in a given number.
- Writing the numerals for ten and twenty.
- Comparing numbers up to 20.
Addition And Subtraction (Upto 20)
- Adding and subtracting numbers up to 20.
Numbers from 21 – 99
- Writing numerals from twenty-one to ninety-nine. Grouping objects into tens and ones.
- Draws representation for groups of tens and ones. Grouping of a number verbally into tens and ones.
- Adding two single-digit numbers mentally.
- Identifying common currency notes and coins.
- Putting together small amounts of money.
Estimating distance, weight, length, and time.
- Length: Distinguish between objects by comparing their length. Comparing thick, thin, near, far, longer, taller, shorter, high, and low.
- Weight: Comparing objects based on their weight like heavy or light objects.
- Time: Distinguishing events based on the time of their occurrence by using terms like earlier and later.
- Collecting, representing, and interpreting similar data like evaluating the length of a book using a paper strip.
- Describing sequences of simple patterns found in shapes in surroundings. Building the sequence of simple patterns of shapes in the surroundings.
The 1st Class Maths syllabus can be covered easily keeping in mind that the kids should not lose interest in the subject even before they start. The subject can be made interesting by relating the topics to real-life scenarios.
Develop Class 1 Maths Skills
Some of the most important Class 1 maths skills are associated with building spatial sense, performing addition/ subtraction, measuring length, time, weight, and identifying patterns. There are various creative ways to develop class 1 maths skills. These creative methods enhance the cognitive skills and the intellectual growth of a child.
Develop Spatial Sense:
Spatial sense is all about building the concept of position, direction, size, shape, space, and movement in children. It is a necessary skill that enables children to understand various things and actions. Encouraging kids to arrange, sort, or clear their toys during play is a good way to introduce them to spatial vocabulary. For instance, let them identify the blocks of the same shapes or sizes. Ask them to put the blocks 'together', or place them 'next to'' each other, or stack them by keeping one on 'top of' the other. Using such phrases will enable kids to build their spatial vocabulary easily.
Develop Number Sense
Developing number sense is highly important to understand mathematical concepts. Number sense signifies the ability of children to count numbers. In class 1 maths, students usually learn numbers from 1 to 100. Encourage children to count both in forward and backward directions. Tell them to collect their toys together, arrange them based on size or color and count them.
Shapes Around Us
Understanding the different shapes in the surroundings is an important skill. Children can collect and identify different things with various shapes, sizes, and colors such as toys, balls, cones, etc. It is good for children to learn to classify objects on the basis of their shapes and other properties.
Class 1 Maths Tips and Tricks
Class 1 Maths can be made interesting for the students using the following tips.
Connect Routine Activities with Maths Concepts.
Incorporating class 1 maths concepts into everyday activities like counting objects in a shopping cart or steps on a staircase will make it simpler for kids to grasp them. Ask your child to identify and count the red objects in the room, or find the square-shaped objects on the table.
Solve Logical Puzzles
Logical puzzles are an excellent means of promoting math interest in kids. Solving these puzzles enables kids to learn maths easily. Thus, improving their basic understanding of numbers, addition, subtraction, pattern, sequences, size, position, and color.
Apply Math in Everyday Life
Math visualization is an excellent means to grasp important concepts. Parents should encourage their children to employ math concepts in their everyday life. For instance, guide them to combine their routine activities like playing or reading with maths for fun learning experiences.
Class 1 Maths Worksheets
Solving Class 1 maths worksheets helps the students to be consistent in doing maths questions on a regular basis. The worksheets consist of a variety of questions that are framed using visuals and colors to ensure that the students remain engaged in solving them. These worksheets also help them to solve questions in an organized way within a time frame. The worksheets for class 1 cover all the topics of this grade and make it easier for the students to remain interested in the subject.
Solved Examples on Class 1 Maths
Example 1: Add the following numbers
a.) 4 + 3 = _
b.) 6 + 4 = _
a.) 4 + 3 = 7
b.) 6 + 4 = 10
Example 2: Fill in the blanks:
a.) _ comes between 9 and 11.
b.) 15 comes before _.
c.) The number 15 has _ ones and _ tens.
a.) 10 comes between 9 and 11.
b.) 15 comes before 16.
c.) The number 15 has 5 ones and 1 tens.
FAQs on Class 1 Maths
What are the Topics of Class 1 Maths?
The topics that are covered under the syllabus of Class 1 Maths are given below. A detailed list is given above on this page.
- Shapes and Spatial Understanding
- Numbers from 10 – 20
- Addition And Subtraction (Upto 20)
- Numbers from 21 – 99
- Mental Arithmetic
- Data Handling
How to Teach Class 1 Maths?
Class 1 maths can be taught to students using playful techniques and interesting ways so that they remain engaged with the topic and subject. For example, counting real-life objects, grouping them, sorting them according to their size and weight to distinguish between heavy and light, small and big, and so on. Apart from this, they can be made to do class 1 maths worksheets on a regular basis so that they get into the habit of identifying numbers and practicing them.
How to Solve Class 1 Maths Questions?
Class 1 Maths questions can be solved using the following simple techniques. Try to imbibe the following tricks in the students to help them solve math questions easily.
- Relate the question to real-life scenarios.
- Use mental maths in the questions.
- Try to draw and visualize the problem to understand it better.
- Make sure to practice the questions every day.
- Play games that involve Maths in them, like the role-play games of shopkeepers and customers.
How to Teach my Class 1 Maths Student at Home?
Class 1 students can be taught at home keeping the following points in mind.
- Have a conversation with the child and keep encouraging them for small milestones.
- Try to empathize with them at every level of difficulty to understand where they need attention.
- Involve yourself with the child in a game related to the topic so that the child does not lose interest in it.
What is the Pattern in Maths for Class 1?
The pattern that is followed in class 1 Maths emphasizes more on concepts and ideas that come from observing patterns and exploring them. The topics are covered keeping in mind the culture of 'learning outside the classroom' so that the students are able to relate the questions to their real life. A detailed list of the topics that are covered in class 1 Maths is given above on this page for reference.