from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
An oval shape is a 2-D shape that looks like the outline of an egg with no straight lines and vertices. It is a curved figure that has one flat face. In real life, we can see the oval shape in a cricket infield or a speed skating rink, or an athletics track. Let us learn more about the oval shape in this article.
|1.||What is an Oval Shape?|
|2.||Properties of an Oval Shape|
|3.||Construction of an Oval Shape|
|4.||FAQs on Oval Shape|
What is an Oval Shape?
A two-dimensional (2D) closed figure that resembles an egg is called an oval shape. The term 'oval' is taken from the Latin word 'ovum', which means egg. In other words, an oval shape can be defined as a geometric shape that is similar to the outer boundary of an egg. Observe the following figure which shows an oval shape.
Properties of an Oval Shape
There is no defined shape for an oval in math, but it is easy to differentiate an oval from a given set of figures based on its properties.
- An oval shape is a smooth-looking closed shape and a curved geometrical figure.
- An oval shape has no straight sides.
- It has no corners or vertices like squares or rectangles.
- It has one flat curved face.
- In some cases of an oval shape, a line of symmetry can be observed.
- An oval shape has no fixed distance from the center point to the boundary as in the case of a circle.
Construction of an Oval Shape
There are many ways to draw an oval shape. The first is to simply draw using a rubber band and the second is to construct it with the help of a ruler and a compass.
Constructing an Oval Shape Using a Rubber Band
Follow the steps given below to draw an oval shape with the help of a rubber band (without using a compass).
- Step 1 - Take 2 nails, a pencil, and a rubber band.
- Step 2 - Fix the two nails apart from each other by stretching the rubber band in such a way that it forms a straight line on a piece of paper.
- Step 3 - Now, place the pencil inside the loop of the rubber band and draw an oval shape by stretching the rubber band, keeping the nails fixed in their positions.
Constructing an Oval Shape Using Compass
An oval can be drawn using a compass. Follow the steps and the figure given below to draw an oval shape using a compass.
- Step 1- Using a compass, construct two circles of the same radius touching each other, as shown in the figure.
- Step 2- Join the diameter of both the circles by drawing a straight line and mark the points as A, B, C, D and E as shown.
- Step 3- Change the settings of the compass by measuring the diameter AC of the first circle. Now, go back to the center of the first circle at B.
- Step 4- Construct arcs above and below the line by keeping the compass point first on point B, then on point D. Let the arcs intersect at P and Q as shown.
- Step 5- Now, change the settings of the compass by keeping the compass needle at A and the other end of the compass at D.
- Step 6- Finally, using this compass setting, keep the compass needle on Q and construct the upper half of the oval. Then, keep the compass on P and complete the oval below the line as shown.
Interesting Notes about an Oval Shape
- Oval in a three-dimensional plane is known as ovoid.
- All circles can be considered as ovals but all ovals are not circles.
☛ Related Articles
Oval Shape Examples
Example 1: Given below is the image of a mirror. What is the shape of the mirror? How many faces are there in the given image?
Solution: This mirror is oval in shape. There is only one face in the figure.
Example 2: Observe the following objects and select the ones that have an oval shape.
Solution: The shape of the clock - Circle
The shape of the basketball - Circle
The shape of the football - Oval
The shape of the floor mat - Oval
The shape of the table top - Rectangle
Example 3: State true or false for the following statements.
a.) An oval shape has no fixed distance from the center point to the boundary as in the case of a circle.
b.) It has no corners or vertices like squares or rectangles.
c.) An oval shape does not have a line of symmetry at all.
a.) True, an oval shape has no fixed distance from the center point to the boundary as in the case of a circle.
b.) True, an oval shape has no corners or vertices like squares or rectangles.
c.) False, in some cases of an oval shape, a line of symmetry can be observed.
Practice Questions on Oval Shape
FAQs on Oval Shape
What is an Oval Shape?
An oval shape is a 2D closed geometric shape with no straight lines or vertices. It is a curved figure with one flat face that resembles the shape of an egg.
Is there a Difference Between a Circle and an Oval Shape?
Yes, a circle is different from an oval shape. A circle is a two-dimensional geometrical shape that is formed by a set of points that are at a fixed distance from the center. However, an oval shape does not have a common distance from the center (radius). A few examples of the circle in the real world are the wheel of a bicycle or a pizza base. The real-world examples of an oval shape could be the shape of the boundary of an egg or the shape of the orbit in which the moon moves around the Earth.
Is Oval Shape a 2D shape?
Yes, an oval shape is a 2D shape. 2D shapes are flat plane figures that do not have any thickness and can be measured only by two dimensions. An oval shape has no vertex, but has one curved side and a flat face.
Give Real-Life Examples of an Oval Shape.
A few real-life examples of an oval shape could include the shape of the boundary of an egg, or some man-made objects such as mirrors, spoons, or serving plates that are designed in an oval shape.
How would you Describe an Oval Shape?
An oval shape is a curve that resembles the boundary of an egg with no straight line or corners. The oval shape looks smooth, simple, with a flat curved face.
How would you Describe the Three-Dimensional Version of an Oval Shape?
The three-dimensional version of an oval shape is known as an ovoid. It can be said that a complete egg is an ovoid whereas an oval shape is only the curved boundary of an egg on a two-dimensional plane.
What are the Properties of an Oval Shape?
An oval shape has no straight sides, corners, or vertices, but it does have one flat curved face. An oval shape does not have a common distance from the center (radius) like the circle.
How to Draw an Oval Shape Without Using a Compass?
There are different ways to draw an oval shape given in this article, like using nails and a rubber band; or simply using a ruler and a pencil. In order to draw an oval shape using a ruler and a pencil, we can use the following steps.
- First, draw a plus (+) sign such that the horizontal line should be longer than the vertical line.
- After that, start drawing a curve from any one end of the plus sign and complete the curve by joining the remaining 3 points of the plus sign. Note that the curve should be drawn around the plus sign and there should be no corners and no straight lines while making the curve.
- Once the oval shape is ready, erase the plus sign inside the oval shape.
What is Another Name for Oval Shape?
An oval shape is also referred to as the elliptical shape because an ellipse is a circle which is stretched in one direction. This makes it similar to an oval shape.
What is a Flattened Oval Shape Called?
A flattened oval shape is called an ellipse. The best example of an ellipse is the orbit of the planet in our Solar System in which the Sun is at one focus point. Apart from this, the moons always move around the planets in an orbit which is elliptical in shape.