How do you subtract a fraction from a whole number?
Whole numbers are all natural numbers including 0.
A fraction represents a numerical value, which defines the parts of a whole
Answer: To subtract a fraction from a whole number, convert the whole number into a fraction, then take the lcm to make the denominator the same and subtract.
Let's look into the steps to subtract a fraction from a whole number
- Convert the whole number into a fraction by making the denominator 1.
- Compare the denominators and take lcm so that they become like fractions.
- Subtract the numerators of the two fractions.
Example: Subtract 1/2 from 4
- Step 1: 4 in terms of a fraction is 4/1
- Step 2: Since, 1/2 has 2 as the denominator hence, we need to make the denominator of 4/1 as 2. Thus, (4 × 2) / (1 × 2) = 8/2
- Step 3: Subtract the numerators of the two fractions. 8/2 - 1/2 = (8-1)/2 = 7/2