from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
Comparing Fractions Calculator
Comparing fractions calculator is a free online tool used to compare any two fractions.
What Is Comparing Fractions Calculator?
By comparing, we mean to identify which fraction is greater than, smaller than or equal to the other fraction.
Cuemath's comparing fractions calculator will help you to compare any two fractions with like or unlike denominators within seconds.
How to Use the Comparing Fractions Calculator?
Follow the steps mentioned below to use the calculator:
- Step 1- Enter both the fractions that you want to compare in the space provided.
- Step 2- Click on "Compare".
- Step 3- Comparison of the fractions will be displayed.
- Step 4- Click on "Reset" to clear the fields and enter another set of fractions.
How to Compare Fractions?
Comparison of two like fractions can be done by comparing their numerators only. The fraction with a greater numerator is greater than the fraction with a smaller numerator. For example, 3/4 > 1/4.
For comparing fractions with unlike denominators, start by finding the least common multiple(LCM) of the denominators to make the denominators the same. When the denominators are made the same, the fraction with the larger numerator is the larger fraction. Other methods that can be used to compare unlike fractions are as follows :
- Decimal conversion method - Convert both the fractions into decimals, and then compare the values of those decimal numbers.
- Cross multiply method - In this method, we cross multiply the numerator of one fraction with the denominator of the other fraction. The one which has a greater numerator is the greater fraction out of the two.
Compare the following fractions: 4/5 and 6/7.
4/5 and 6/7 are two, unlike fractions. So, let us find the LCM of their denominators to convert them into like fractions.
LCM of 5 and 7 is 35.
So, 4/5 × 7/7 = 28/35 and 6/7 × 5/5 = 30/35
Now we can easily find which fraction is greater out of the two by comparing their numerators.
Since 30>28, it is clear that 6/7>4/5
Now, use the above comparing fractions calculator to compare the following fractions:
- 12/5 and 11/3
- 3/9 and 5/15