Camping or glamping?
Struggling to convince your friends to go old school? Here is how you can convince them.
Venn diagram is your bestie!!
A Venn diagram is a picture that communicates many pieces of information. Venn diagrams are used to teach elementary set theory and illustrate simple set relationships in probability, logic, statistics, linguistics, and computer science.
Let us look at this example:
A Music Survey was carried out to find out what types of music a group of students liked. The results were placed into the following three circles: Venn Diagram.
Let’s see how much information this diagram holds:
- The three categories of music shown in this diagram are Dance, Rap, and Rock music.
- The total number of people surveyed was 70. (Add up all numbers=70. This value is called “E” or Universal set.)
- To find the total number of people who like “Rock” music, we add up all of the numbers in the “Rock” circle, including the areas where “Rock” overlaps ( intersects) with the other circles. (16 + 2 + 8 + 5 = 31)
- In the same way, the total number of people who like dance music is 47 (20+5+8+14).
- Similarly, the total number of rap music fans is 29 (5+2+8+14). In the same way, we can find the number of people who prefer:
- Rock and rap music
- Rock and dance music
- Rap and dance music
- Rap, dance, and rock music
- We can also work out Probability or Odds from our Venn Diagram. For example, we have found that 31 people out of 70 like Rock music. So if we pick any one person at random from our group, the chances, or odds, or probability, they will like Rock music is 31 out of 70, or 31 / 70, or 31/70 x100 = 44%.
A Venn diagram, named after English logician John Venn, presents a lot of information in one glance and stimulates us to draw inferences based on the given facts/ information.
Next time you have to deal with the analysis of an overload of information, just remember you have Venn diagrams. Keep the set concepts in mind and rake up a storm! Go and Venn everyone with a perfect presentation.
Getting up and drawing a Venn diagram is a great way to appear smart. It doesn't matter if your Venn diagram is wildly inaccurate, in fact, the more inaccurate the better.