from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
Percentile Calculator is an online tool that helps to determine the percentile of a particular value in a given data set. The value below which a certain percentage of data falls is known as the percentile.
What is Percentile Calculator?
Percentile Calculator helps you to determine the percentage of scores that fall below a particular value in the given data set. Percentiles are used to draw comparisons between a selected score and the scores of the group. To use this percentile calculator, enter the values in the input boxes.
How to Use Percentile Calculator?
Please follow the given steps to determine the percentile of a selected value using the online percentile calculator:
- Step 1: Go to Cuemath's online percentile calculator.
- Step 2: Enter the required data in the given input boxes.
- Step 3: Click on the "Calculate" button to find the percentile of the selected value.
- Step 4: Click on the "Reset" button to clear the fields and enter new values.
How Does Percentile Calculator Work?
The concept of percentages should not be confused with that of percentiles. Percentage is a value that is used to represent a quantity out of 100. However, percentile is a value is that used to show the percentage of values that lie below a specific value. The steps to calculate the percentile are given below:
- Step 1: Arrange the given data set in ascending or increasing order.
- Step 2: Choose a value whose percentile needs to be determined. Let this value be represented by x.
- Step 3: Count the number of values that are lesser than the chosen value x. Let this count be represented by y.
- Step 4: Count the total number of values in the given data set. Let this be z.
- Step 5: Now divide y by z.
- Step 6: To find the percentile multiply y / z by 100.
Thus, the formula for calculating the percentile of a given number, x, is as follows:
Percentile = (Number of Values Below x / Total Number of Values) × 100
Solved Examples on Percentile Calculator
The marks of students of a class are (45, 98, 33, 57, 63, 82, 77, 72, 77, 12). Find the percentile of the student with 77 marks and verify it using the online percentile calculator.
Arranging the given data in ascending order we get (12, 33, 45, 57, 63, 72, 77, 77, 82, 98).
Number of values below 77 = 6.
Total number of values = 10
Percentile = (6 / 10) × 100
The weights of people (in kgs) are (43.2, 55.6, 77.3, 68.8, 45.1, 60.9, 49.5, 58.1, 70.3, 86.6). Find the percentile of a person who weighs 70.3 Kgs and verify it using the online percentile calculator.
Arranging the given data in ascending order we get (43.2, 45.1, 49.5, 55.6, 58.1, 60.9, 68.8, 70.3, 77.3, 86.6).
Number of values below 70.3 = 7
Total number of values = 10
Percentile = (7 / 10) × 100
Now, try the percentile calculator to find the percentile value for the following data.
- Find the percentile for 34, if the data is (27, 33, 34, 45, 33, 26, 37, 23, 38, 40).
- Find the percentile for 99, for the data points (81.2, 97.7, 93.2, 100, 101.5, 83, 81.6, 102, 99.9, 99)
☛ Related Articles:
☛ Math Calculators: