Fraction Calculator performs the addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of two fractions. In mathematics, fractions are the part of a whole represented as numerical values. It is written in the form of Numerator / Denominator.
What is a Fraction Calculator?
Fraction Calculator is an online tool that can perform arithmetic operations - add, subtract, multiply or divide between any two fractions. It helps calculate the addition, multiplication, subtraction, and division of two fractions in a few seconds. To use this fraction calculator, enter the values inside the input boxes given below.
* Use only 4 digits
How to Use the Fraction Calculator?
Follow these simple steps to add, multiply, subtract or divide any two fractions using an online fraction calculator:
- Step 1: Go to Cuemath's online fraction calculator.
- Step 2: Enter the values in the input boxes of the fraction calculator and choose the operation you want to perform.
- Step 3: Click on the "Calculate" button to add, subtract, multiply and divide two fractions.
- Step 4: Click on the "Reset" button to clear the fields and enter new values.
How Does a Fraction Calculator Work?
A fraction is made up of two numbers (Numerator and Denominator ) and is written in the form of x/y, where x is the numerator and y is the denominator. The four arithmetic operations addition(+), subtraction(-), multiplication(×), and division(÷) can be performed on the fractions with different methods.
- Addition: The addition of fractions involves the use of LCM of the denominators. The denominator of both the fractions needs to be the same so that the numerators can be added.
- Subtraction: The subtraction of fractions follows the same process as that of addition. The denominators of both the fractions need to be made equal before subtracting the numerators.
- Multiplication: The multiplication of fractions is much easier than addition or subtraction. First, multiply the numerators, then multiply the denominators. After that, reduce the fraction to its lowest terms, if needed.
- Division: The division of fractions process is similar to multiplication. Here, we multiply the first fraction by the reciprocal (inverse) of the second fraction and then solve it in the same way as we do in the multiplication of fractions.
Solved Examples on Fraction
Example 1: Add (2/3) + (5/6) and verify it using the fraction calculator.
(2/3) + (5/6) = (2 × 2)/(3 × 2) + (5/6)
= 4/6 + 5/6
= (4 + 5)/6 = 9/6 = 3/2
Example 2: Subtract (7/8) - (1/4)
(7/8) - (1/4) = (7/8) - (1 × 2)/(2 × 4)
= 7/8 - 2/8
= (7 - 2)/8 = 5/8
Example 3: Multiply (4/15) × (9/16)
(4/15) × (9/16) = 36/240
Example 4: Divide (2/3) ÷ (4/5)
(2/3) ÷ (4/5) = (2/3) × (5/4)
Similarly, you can try the fraction calculator to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of two fractions for the following:
- (5/11) + (4/7)
- (11/14) - (2/3)
- (2/9) × (3/8)
☛ Also Check: