from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
Fraction Calculator performs the addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of two given fractions. Fractions are numerical values that represent a part of a whole. A simple fraction is given by the notation - numerator / Denominator.
What is a Fraction Calculator?
Fraction Calculator is an online tool that can be used to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions with like or unlike denominators. It provides a quick and easy way to solve complex problems as well as tally results within seconds. To use the fraction calculator, enter the values in the input boxes given below.
NOTE: Enter values upto 4 digits only.
How to Use the Fraction Calculator?
Follow these simple steps to add, multiply, subtract or divide any two fractions using an online fraction calculator:
- Step 1: Go to Cuemath's online fraction calculator.
- Step 2: Enter the values in the input boxes of the fraction calculator and choose the operation you want to perform.
- Step 3: Click on the "Calculate" button to add, subtract, multiply and divide two fractions.
- Step 4: Click on the "Reset" button to clear the fields and enter new values.
How Does a Fraction Calculator Work?
The numerator of a fraction is used to describe the number of equal parts of a whole while the denominator shows the complete part or the whole. A point to be noted is that for the fraction to exist the denominator has to be non-zero.
- Addition: To add fractions, the first step is to have the same denominators. To determine the common denominator take their LCM. Next, multiply the denominator with a number that gives the same value as the LCM. The numerator will also be multiplied by this number. Once both fractions are converted to have the same denominators, add the numerators.
- Subtraction: Subtraction of two fractions can be performed only if both have common denominators. Using the LCM method the fractions can be converted to have the same denominators and then the numerators are subtracted.
- Multiplication: The multiplication of fractions is much easier than addition or subtraction. First, multiply the numerators, then multiply the denominators. After that, reduce the fraction to its lowest terms, to get the final answer.
- Division: The division of fractions is similar to multiplication. Here, we multiply the first fraction by the reciprocal (inverse) of the second and simplify it to its lowest form.
Solved Examples on Fraction Calculator
Add (2/3) + (5/6) and verify it using the fraction calculator.
As the denominators are not same, we find the LCM.
LCM (3, 6) = 6
(2/3) + (5/6) = [(2 × 2)/(3 × 2)] + (5/6)
= 4/6 + 5/6
= (4 + 5)/6 = 9/6 = 3/2
Subtract (7/8) - (1/4) and verify it using the fraction calculator.
LCM (8, 4) = 8
(7/8) - (1/4) = (7/8) - [(1 × 2)/(2 × 4)]
= 7/8 - 2/8
= (7 - 2)/8 = 5/8
Multiply (4/15) × (9/16) and verify it using the fraction calculator.
(4/15) × (9/16) = 36/240
(4/15) × (9/16) = 3/20
Divide (2/3) ÷ (4/5) and verify it using the fraction calculator.
The reciprocal of 4/5 is 5/4.
(2/3) ÷ (4/5) = (2/3) × (5/4)
Similarly, you can try the fraction calculator to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of two fractions for the following:
- (5/11) + (4/7)
- (11/14) - (2/3)
- (2/9) × (3/8)
☛ Related Articles:
☛ Math Calculators: