Prime Factor Calculator
Prime Factor Calculator is an online tool that calculates and displays the prime factors of a given number. When prime numbers are multiplied to get the original number then they are known as prime factors.
What Is a Prime Factor Calculator?
Prime Factor Calculator breaks up a given number into its corresponding prime factors. Prime numbers have only two factors, that is,1 and the number itself. Composite numbers have multiple factors. To use the prime factor calculator, enter the number in the given input box.
Prime Factor Calculator
Note: Enter numbers up to three digits.
How to Use a Prime Factor Calculator?
Follow the steps given below to determine the prime factors of a number using the prime factor calculator
- Step 1: Go to Cuemath's online prime factor calculator.
- Step 2: Enter the number in the given input box
- Step 3: Click on "Calculate" to find the prime factors of the number entered.
- Step 4: Click on "Reset" to clear the field and enter new values.
How Does Prime Factor Calculator Work?
There are two common methods to find the prime factors of a number. These are given as follows:
1. Factor Tree Method
- The given number is considered as the root of the tree. This number will be written at the top of the factor tree.
- Write a corresponding pair of factors of the given composite number. These will form branches of the tree.
- Now write down a pair of factors for each of the two factors from step 2. These will form the next branches of the tree.
- Continue this process till all the composite factors have been broken down into their prime factors.
2. Division Method
- The given number is divided by the smallest prime factor. This prime factor should divide the number completely without leaving any remainder.
- The quotient obtained in step 1 is again divided by the smallest prime factor without leaving a remainder.
- Until the quotient becomes 1 repeat step 2.
- All the divisors that were used to perform the division will represent the prime factors of the given number.
Solved Examples On Prime Factors
Example 1: Find the prime factors of 30 and verify the result using the online prime factor calculator.
Using the Division Method:
Prime factors of 30 are 2, 3, and 5
Example 2: Find the prime factors of 192 and verify the result using the online prime factor calculator.
Using the Factor Tree Method
Prime factors of 192 are 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, and 3
Now, try the prime factor calculator to find the prime factors of the following numbers.
☛ Math Calculators: