A divisor is a number that divides another number. Without a divisor, you cannot divide numbers. In a division, there are four important terms, they are dividend, divisor, quotient, and remainder. The division is the process of making equal groups. The total number of objects to be divided takes the name of a 'Dividend' and the total number of equal groups to be formed is the 'Divisor'. If there are any objects left out without forming a group they are termed as 'Remainder'.
|1.||What is a Divisor?|
|2.||How to Find Divisor?|
|5.||Difference Between Divisor and Factors|
|6.||FAQs on Divisors|
What is a Divisor?
A number that divides another number with or without leaving a remainder is called a divisor. Divisor takes the dividend and divides it into equal groups. The number being divided in a division problem is called a dividend and the number that the dividend is divided by is called the divisor.
There are 3 different ways to write a division problem. All means are the same. Please take a look at the image below, which shows the various methods of writing a divisor.
Look at the above image and observe the divisor numbers.
How to find a Divisor?
Without divisors, division is not possible.
Suppose we have to divide the number 35 by 5. It can be represented as 35 ÷ 5 = 7
The number 35 is the dividend. It is the number to be divided.
The number 5 is the divisor. It is the number that divides the dividend.
The number 7 is the quotient. It is the answer that we get after dividing.
The number 0 is the remainder. It is the number that is left over after dividing.
Let us understand the formula of divisor when the remainder is 0, and when it is a non-zero number.
- If the remainder is 0, then Divisor = Dividend ÷ Quotient.
- If the remainder is not 0, then Divisor = (Dividend - Remainder)/ Quotient
The following are the facts on divisor.
- When the quotient is the same as the dividend then number 1 is the divisor of all the numbers For example, 45 ÷ 1 = 45
- When the dividend and the divisor are equal in a division problem, the answer to such a problem is always 1 or the quotient is 1. For example, 45 ÷ 45 = 1
- A quotient is a number that is obtained upon dividing a dividend by a divisor, and any number that is left over after the division is called the remainder.
- The remainder is always smaller than the divisor.
- When the remainder is zero it means the divisor has completely divided the dividend.
- When the divisor is greater than the dividend, then the resultant number will be a decimal number.For example, 45 ÷ 100 = 0.45
Difference Between Divisor and Factors
As we already discussed above divisor is a number that divides the dividend. When a divisor exactly divides the dividend and leaves no remainder that divisor is also called a factor of that dividend. Thus, all factors of a number are divisors but all divisors need not be factors of a number always.
For example, factors of 8 are 1, 2, 4, and 8. As 8 is exactly divisible by 1, 2, 4, 8. Therefore all factors are divisors in this case.
Let's take another example, Divide 12 by 5. If we divide 12 by 5 we get quotient as 2 and remainder as 2 or 12 ÷ 5 we get Quotient = 2, Remainder = 2
in this case, the divisor is 5 but 12 is not exactly divisible by 5 so 5 is not a factor of 12 but it is a divisor of 12 as it gives remainder as 2.
Hence, all factors are divisors but all divisors are not factors.
Important Notes on Divisor
Given below are some of the important notes related to divisor that we studied in this article. Have a look!
- A divisor cannot be zero because when a number is divided by zero the result is undefined.
- A division problem stays true even if we swap quotient and divisor.
- When zero is divided by any divisor it gives zero as a quotient.
- Any number divided by 1 gives the number itself as the quotient.
- When the dividend and the divisor are equal in a division problem, the answer to such a problem is always 1.
- The remainder is always smaller than the divisor.
Check out the interesting topics to learn more about Divisors.
Example 1: There are 279 color boxes to be distributed among children on Children's day. It was planned to give away 3 color boxes to each child. Find out how many children will get them.
Number of color boxes = 279
Number of color boxes each child will get = 3
To find out the number of children who will get 3 color boxes we will divide the number 279 by 3.
279 ÷ 3 = 93 (here 279 is dividend, 3 is divisor and 93 is quotient)
Therefore, 93 children will get color boxes.
Example 2: A school decided to take their students to a summer camp during their summer holidays. 90 children will be going on the trip and 30 tents are available for the camp. Can you calculate the number of children that can be accommodated in each tent?
To find the number of children in each tent, we will divide the number of tents among the total number of children.
Here, we will divide the number 90 by 30.
90 ÷ 30 = 3 (here 90 is dividend, 30 is divisor and 3 is quotient)
Therefore, 3 children can be accommodated in each tent.
FAQs on Divisors
What is a Divisor in Math?
A number that divides another number is known as a divisor. For example, Divide 20 by 4. Here 4 is the number that will divide the number 20 therefore, 4 is known as the divisor.
Is a Number a Divisor of Itself?
Yes, a number is a divisor of itself because a number can divide itself into only 1 part. This means that it will give the quotient as 1. For example, 23 ÷ 23 = 1
What is the Divisor in a Fraction?
A fraction is represented in the form p/q,(q is not equal to 0). Here, the denominator q is the divisor. For example, 6/2, the denominator 2 is the divisor.
What is the Formula of Divisor?
When the remainder is 0, Divisor = Dividend ÷ Quotient, whereas, when the remainder is non-zero, Divisor = (Dividend - Remainder)/Quotient. The quotient can become a divisor and a divisor can become a quotient. For example 10 ÷ 5 = 2 or 10 ÷ 2 = 5 ( 5 and 2 are the quotient and divisor in different situations.)
What is the Divisor in the Division Fact 30 ÷ 15 = 2?
The divisor is the number that divides another number. Here 30 is divided by 15. Therefore,15 is the divisor.