from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
Ratio Calculator is used to compute the ratio between two quantities. Ratio is a mathematical concept that is used to make a comparison between two quantities. In other words, it shows how many times one quantity is contained in the other.
What is Ratio Calculator?
Ratio Calculator is an online tool used to give the most simplified form of a ratio. In a ratio, it is not necessary for the two quantities to be of the same kind. For example, we can find the ratio of 10 lemons to 5 oranges. This will be 10:5 or 2:1. To use the ratio calculator, enter values in the input box.
NOTE: Enter upto 3 digits only.
How to Use the Ratio Calculator?
Follow these simple steps and learn how to use the ratio calculator for calculating the quantity of the objects:
- Step 1: Go to Cuemath’s online ratio calculator.
- Step 2: Enter the numbers in the input box of the ratio calculator.
- Step 3: Click on the "Calculate" button to find the ratio of the given objects.
- Step 4: Click on the "Reset" button to clear the fields and enter new values.
How Does Ratio Calculator Work?
When two quantities are compared by taking their ratio we are essentially trying to judge how big or small one quantity is with respect to the other. Division is used to compare the two quantities. Thus, the numbers in a ratio can be expressed as a fraction. Suppose we want to find the ratio between two numbers, say a and b (here, a is referred to as the antecedent, and b is called the consequent). We can do so by following the steps given below:
- The ratio of a and b is expressed as a:b.
- We will express a:b in fractional form. This is given by a/b.
- We will find the GCF (greatest common factor) of a and b.
- Next, we divide a (numerator) and b (denominator) by the GCF. This will give us a fraction in its most simplified form.
- Finally, we use the ratio representation of the fraction obtained in step 4 to get our result.
When we add the numbers a and b we will get the total quantities of both the objects.
Solved Examples on Ratio Calculator
Find the ratio of milk to water if 24 cups of milk and 18 cups of water are added to a recipe and verify it using the ratio calculator.
Quantity of milk= 24 cups
Quantity of water= 18 cups
The ratio of milk to water is 24:18.
Expressing this in a fractional form we get 24/18
GCF (24, 18) = 6
24/6 = 4 and 18/6 = 3
This will give 4/3.
Thus, the ratio of milk to water in the recipe is 4:3
Find the ratio of flour to sugar if we require 20 tablespoons of flour and 4 tablespoons of sugar and verify it using the ratio calculator.
Quantity of flour= 20 cups
Quantity of sugar= 4 cups
The ratio of flour to sugar is 20:4.
Expressing this in a fractional form we get 20/4
GCF (20, 4) = 4
20/4 = 5 and 4/4 = 1
This will give 5/1
Thus, the ratio of flour to sugar is 5:1.
Now, use the ratio calculator to find the ratio of the following quantities:
- First quantity= 34 and Second quantity= 89
- First quantity= 4 and Second quantity= 57
☛ Related Articles:
☛ Math Calculators: