XXIV Roman Numerals
XXIV Roman numerals can be written as numbers by combining the value of each Roman numeral, i.e., XXIV = XX + IV = 20 + 4 = 24. The higher Roman numerals precede the lower numerals resulting in the correct translation of XXIV Roman Numerals. In this article, let us learn how to convert XXIV Roman numerals into Hindu-Arabic numerals.
- XXIV = X + X + V - I
- XXIV = 10 + 10 + 5 - 1
- XXIV = 24
What does XXIV mean in Roman Numerals?
The numerical value of XXIV Roman Numerals can be obtained by using any of the two methods given below:
Method 1: In this method, we break the Roman numerals into single letters, write the numerical value of each letter and add/subtract them.
- XXIV = X + X + V - I = 10 + 10 + 5 - 1 = 24
- XXIV = XX + IV = 20 + 4 = 24
Therefore, the numerical value of XXIV Roman numerals is 24.
☛ Also Check: Roman Numerals Calculator
What are the Basic Rules to Write Roman Numerals?
- When a bigger letter precedes a smaller letter, the letters are added. For example: DI, D > I, so DI = D + I = 500 + 1 = 501
- When a smaller letter precedes a bigger letter, the letters are subtracted. For example: XL, X < L, so XL = L - X = 50 - 10 = 40
- When a letter is repeated 2 or 3 times, they get added. For example: II = I + I = 1 + 1 = 2
- The same letter cannot be used more than three times in succession.
- The letters V, L, and D are not repeated.
- Only I, X, and C can be used as subtractive numerals. There can be 6 combinations when we subtract. These are IV = 5 - 1 = 4; IX = 10 - 1 = 9; XL = 50 - 10 = 40; XC = 100 - 10 = 90; CD = 500 - 100 = 400; and CM = 1000 - 100 = 900
Numbers Related to XXIV Roman Numerals
Roman numerals were used in ancient Rome and utilized combinations of letters using the Latin alphabets I, V, X, L, C, D, and M. It may seem different than numbers, but they are similar. For example, XXIV Roman numerals are equivalent to the number 24. The Roman numerals related to XXIV are given below:
- XX = 20
- XXI = 20 + 1 = 21
- XXII = 20 + 2 = 22
- XXIII = 20 + 3 = 23
- XXIV = 20 + 4 = 24
- XXV = 20 + 5 = 25
- XXVI = 20 + 6 = 26
- XXVII = 20 + 7 = 27
- XXVIII = 20 + 8 = 28
- XXIX = 20 + 9 = 29
☛ Related Articles
- CLXIII Roman Numerals - 163
- CCXV Roman Numerals - 215
- XCVII Roman Numerals - 97
- MMII Roman Numerals - 2002
- LXVI Roman Numerals - 66
- CCVI Roman Numerals - 206
- DCCCX Roman Numerals - 810
XXIV Roman Numerals Examples
Example 1: Divide the Roman numeral XXIV by XII and give the quotient in Roman numerals.
The Roman numeral XXIV is 24 and XII is 12.
Now, when we divide XXIV by XII, i.e., 24 ÷ 12, we get the quotient as 2.
Since, 2 = II
Therefore, XXIV ÷ XII = II
Example 2: Find the difference between the given Roman numerals: XXIV and XIV.
Roman Numeral XXIV is equal to 24 and XIV is 14.
Now, XXIV - XIV = 24 - 14 = 10
Since, 10 = X
Therefore, XXIV - XIV = X
Example 3: Find the sum of MMCDLXI and XXIV Roman numerals.
MMCDLXI = 2000 + 400 + 60 + 1 = 2461 and XXIV = 20 + 4 = 24
Now, MMCDLXI + XXIV = 2461 + 24 = 2485
Since, MMCDLXXXV = 2000 + 400 + 80 + 5 = 2485
Therefore, the sum of MMCDLXI and XXIV Roman numerals is MMCDLXXXV
FAQs on XXIV Roman Numerals
What does XXIV Roman Numerals Mean?
XXIV in Roman numerals can be converted to Hindu Arabic numbers by expanding each letter. So, XXIV = XX + IV = 20 + 4 = 24. Hence, the value of Roman Numerals XXIV is 24.
What Should be Subtracted from XXIV to Get IV?
First, we will write XXIV and IV in numbers, i.e., XXIV = 20 + 4 = 24 and IV = 4. Now, 24 - 4 = 20. And 20 = XX. Therefore, XX should be subtracted from XXIV Roman numerals to get IV.
What is the Remainder when the Roman Numeral XXIV is Divided by IX?
We know that XXIV = 24 and IX = 9 in numbers. On dividing 24 by 9, we get 2 as the quotient and it leaves a remainder of 6. Now, 6 = VI. Therefore, when XXIV is divided by IX, the remainder is VI.
Why is 24 Written in Roman Numerals as XXIV?
We know that in Roman numerals, we write 4 as IV, and 10 as X. Therefore, 24 in Roman numerals is written as XXIV = XX + IV = 20 + 4 = XXIV.
How to Convert XXIV Roman Numerals in Hindu Arabic Numerals?
To convert XXIV Roman Numerals to Hindu Arabic numerals, the given Roman numerals can be split as follows: XXIV = XX + IV. We know that XX = 20, and IV = 4. Therefore, 20 + 4 = 24