from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
1st Grade Math
Grade 1 math is significant for students because it sets the foundation for higher-level mathematics. Children in Grade K are already aware of numbers from 1 to 20. They are also comfortable with counting and writing numbers from 1 to 20. Building on this knowledge children in Grade 1 will learn about 3-digit numbers up to 120. They will also learn some new concepts like adding and subtracting numbers. Reading integral hours and transacting with money. These concepts build a foundation for understanding higher-grade concepts.
The focus in these grades should be on understanding numbers, place values, place names and number names. Incorporate a lot of learning aids like color counters, shapes, and building blocks to make learning fun. By opting for Cuemath’s tutors, you can be assured that your child is getting the best math tutoring that helps him/her to achieve better grades.
1st Grade Math Curriculum
The 1st grade math curriculum sets a foundation for students as they study more advanced topics in the higher grades.
Cuemath's 1st grade math curriculum is designed such that the students are provided with a comprehensive understanding of key mathematical concepts and principles. Here is the 1st grade curriculum with topics and subtopics:
What do First Graders Learn in Math?
Count and write numbers
- Count and write numbers from 1 to 100
- Count backward
- Comparing and Ordering up to 99
- Consolidation up to 120
- Number names 1 to 50
- Cardinal Numbers
- Odd and even numbers
- Understanding place value
- Comparing two-digit numbers using the greater than sign and the less-than sign
Addition and Subtraction
- Visualization of Addition and Subtraction
- Addition and Subtraction of 2-digit numbers
- Addition of three one-digit numbers
- Write and show an understanding of the mathematical symbols (+, -, =)
- Solve problems that involve one and two-digit numbers
- Solve problems that involve missing numbers. For example, 2 + _ = 3
- Reading the clock and telling the time to the nearest hour, half-hour, and quarter-hour
- Make a connection between time and events (e.g. shorter, longer, before, after)
Shapes and Patterns
- Lines and shapes - Examine the attributes of different shapes, the number of sides, or the faces that they have.
- Plane and solid shapes - Name the 2-d shapes.
- Patterns - prediction of the next color, or object after observing the pattern.
- Sorting different objects by attributes such as color, shape, function, and so on.
- An introduction to measurement and unit comparisons
- Measure using a ruler and after taking the measurements, compare and order objects by length
- Compare the weights and volumes of different objects.
- Represent and interpret data
- Interpret data by picture graphs and bar graphs
1st Grade Math Curriculum
Your tiny tot is in Grade 1! Now that your kid has mastered numbers and counting, its time to tutor them on the concepts in the first grade. Grade 1 Math improves children’s understanding of arithmetic, number values, linear measurements, and shape compositions. With appealing visualizations, Cuemath makes learning these concepts fun & enjoyable!
Personalized Online Live Math Tuitions for Grade 1
Grade 1 students start off their learning with single-digit addition and proceed to concepts like simple subtraction. The online tutors with Cuemath pay personalized attention to every kid, ensuring that kids are thorough with the concepts. Your child will be tutored by the best math experts in a live, online classroom. Each tuition lesson will slowly improve your kid’s Math proficiency.
Online Math Tutor For Your Little Champ in Grade 1
From basic addition and subtraction activities to our visually appealing puzzles, there is no end to the number of ways your kid in Grade 1 can improve their Math skills. Engaging activities rather than boring worksheets enthrall the kids in a new learning experience, and Cuemath Tutors ensure that a strong emphasis is laid on conceptual understanding rather than repetitive drills. Each online tuition for your kid in Grade 1 will cover a new concept, and you will soon start to see significant improvement in their performance.
>> Visualize Math with Interactive 1st Grade Math Worksheets
Grade 1 kids can learn Math Online
Cuemath has over a dozen unique activities and alluring characters- for kids in grade 1 who are tutoring online with us. During these activities, the tutors observe Grade 1 students picking up on identifying patterns, telling time, sorting, measuring time & distances, and so many more things. Cuemath tutors observe the performance of your kid and create a personalized learning plan instead of robotic completion of courses.
What are you waiting for? Help your Grade 1 kid fall in love with Math instead of dreading the subject. Tutor him online with Cuemath.
☛ Also Check: 1st Grade Math Worksheets
FAQs on 1st Grade Math
What do 1st Graders Learn in Math?
1st grade Math mainly covers topics like the Number system, addition and subtraction, time, shapes and pattern, and measurement. However, depending on the school, the students may also get a chance to learn other topics as well.
Is 1st Grade Math Difficult?
No, 1st grade math is not difficult if the student is aware of the concepts of his previous grade. It focuses on a deeper understanding of the concepts that were studied in Kindergarten. The topics are prepared in such a way that the students are able to relate them to their day-to-day life.
What Should a First Grader Know in Math?
A common question that occurs is, what do first graders learn in Math? So, a first-grader should know about the following concepts. A detailed list of the sub-topics is given above on this page for reference.