from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
5th Grade Math
In Grade 5 children learn to operate both on fractions and decimals. With a new concept getting introduced in every grade, percentages and the unitary method get introduced in Grade 5. Children start learning higher-order concepts in geometry. Concepts like measuring and drawing angles. By grade 5 the knowledge of whole numbers and their operations is strengthened. It is in this grade children also learn to operate on decimal numbers. Let children explore the different approaches to arrive at the right answer.
Grade 5 Math Curriculum
The 5th grade math curriculum includes a list of some new topics. Cuemath's 5th grade math curriculum is designed in such a way that the students are able to understand and solve the basic operations mentally. Here is the 5th grade curriculum with topics and subtopics.
What Should a Fifth Grader Know in Math?
Numbers and Number systems
- 9-digit numbers and their expanded form
- Numbers in Words for 9-digit numbers, Numbers up to one million
- Comparing and Ordering 9-digit numbers
- Place Value for 9-digit numbers
- Roman numerals
- Unitary Method
Addition and Subtraction
- Addition and subtraction with 9 digit numbers
- Addition and Subtraction of 9-digit numbers using place value
- Addition and Subtraction with more than 3 or more numbers.
- Solve problems that involve missing numbers.
Multiplication and Division
- Multiplication of 3-digits numbers.
- Division of multi-digit numbers by 2-digit numbers
- Estimating quotients
- Divisibility rules
- Factors and multiples
- Prime Factorization
- Prime Numbers
- GCF (Greatest Common Factor) of 3 numbers
- LCM (Least Common Multiple) of 3 or 4 numbers
- Understanding powers of 10
- Finding the missing exponent or base
- Identification of proper fractions, Improper fractions and mixed numbers.
- Equivalent fractions
- Comparing and ordering fractions
- Reducing fractions to lowest terms
- Conversion of fractions from improper to mixed fractions, Mixed fractions to improper fractions
- Addition and subtraction of fractions with like fractions and unlike fractions
- Multiplication of fractions
- Division of fractions
- Introduction to decimals
- Equivalent decimals
- Rounding decimals
- Comparing decimals
- Adding and subtracting decimals
- Decimal Place values
- Convert decimals to fractions and convert fractions to decimals
- Addition and subtraction of decimals
- Multiplication of decimals
- Division of decimals
- Introduction to percentage
- Convert between percent, fractions and decimals
Perimeter and Area
- Perimeter of polygons
- Area of rectangles
- Area and perimeter word problems related to squares and rectangles
- Volume of cubes, prisms
- Surface Area
- Measurement of time using units
- Convert time units
- Time zones
- Start and end times
- Time patterns
- Elapsed time
- Lines, line segments, rays
- Plane and solid shapes - Name the 2d shapes.
- Identifying 2d shapes and 3d shapes
- Nets of 3d shapes
- Count vertices, edges and faces
- Triangles and quadrilaterals
- Identifying cubes and rectangles
- Patterns - prediction of the next color, or object after observing the pattern.
- Angles - Acute angles, Obtuse angles, Right angles, Straight angles
- Measuring and drawing angles with a protractor.
- Parallel lines, perpendicular lines and intersecting lines
- Measurement of length, weight and capacity
- Measure and estimate length
- Unit comparisons
- Measure using a ruler and after taking the measurements, compare and order objects by length
- Compare the weights and volumes of different objects.
- Understanding Cubic units
- Reasonable temperature - Celsius and Fahrenheit
Data Handling and Statistics
- Mean, median, mode
- Line plots, Interpret line plots
- Represent and interpret data by tally graphs, bar graphs
- Interpret data by picture graphs and bar graphs
- Create line plots and pictographs
- Conversion and comparing money units
- Rounding money units
- Add, subtract, multiply, divide money units
- Word problems on money
Estimation and Rounding
- Estimate sums and differences.
- Estimate products
- Rounding numbers
- Describe the coordinate plane
- Analyze graph relationships
- Write and evaluate variable expressions
- Solve equations with decimals and whole numbers
- Income and Payroll taxes
- Identify types of taxes
- Evaluate payment methods
- Balance and adjust a budget
5th Grade Math Curriculum
Scoring high marks in Grade 5 Mathematics just got easier! Your kid will now be factors, multiples, primes, and know the basic Math at the tip of their fingers. If your kid has studied Grade 4 from Cuemath tutors, then they might already be a little ahead of their peers! Enroll your child in Grade 5 tuitions with Cuemath to generate their inquisitiveness and have them question the why behind every fact, instead of just earning it. No matter where your child is on the Math spectrum, they will find our Grade 5 Math tuitions helpful and challenging!
Live Online Math Tutors for your kid in Grade 5
Advanced Math is introduced to kids in Grade 5, and that means learning the basics of GCF, LCM, as well as how to add & subtract fractions. If your kid has not been able to pick up all the concepts in Grade 4, then our Cuemath online tutors will be able to help them cope up and be at par with their class. Our tuition will encourage your kids to learn the concepts using objects, pictures, and visual models. Each kid will get personalized attention right from the first class in Grade 5. Our tutors are handpicked and the best in the market. Your child will be tutored online for every concept in grade 5 by an expert teacher online. As each tuition class progresses, you will see an improvement in your kids’ Mathematical abilities.
Best tutors for kids in Grade 5
Our Grade 5 online tuition classes with Cuemath tutors will help your kid tackle any Math problem. Cuemath’s online tuitions are designed to teach, challenge, and boost the confidence of budding Mathematicians. One of the most important things to understand about your kid in Grade 5 is that the more he practices in online tuition, the faster he will grasp the formulas and techniques to get ahead. Get your child enrolled in Cuemath online classes today, and see a difference right after a couple of tuitions!
☛ Also Check: Interactive 5th Grade Math Worksheets
FAQs on 5th Grade Math
What do 5th Graders Learn in Math?
5th grade Math mainly covers topics like addition and subtraction of 9-digit numbers, multiplication and division, time conversion, fractions and decimals, more about 2d shapes and 3d shapes, rounding numbers, perimeter and area, volume, types of lines, measurement of length, weight and capacity, data handling, statistics, and word problems related to money. Apart from these, a few new topics are also introduced like, Coordinate Plane, variable expressions and financial literacy. However, this curriculum may vary depending on the school.
Is 5th Grade Math Difficult?
No, 5th grade math is not difficult but it includes some new topics in the curriculum like Coordinate Plane, variable expressions and financial literacy, types of lines, such as parallel lines, perpendicular lines, intersecting lines, and so on. The topics of grade 5 make the students think, analyze and work in-depth with concepts of fractions, decimals, measurement, and statistics.
What do Fifth Graders Learn in Math?
A commonly asked question that occurs is, what Math should a 5th grader know? So, a fifth-grader should know about the following concepts. A detailed list of the sub-topics is given above on this page for reference.
- Numbers upto 9 digits
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
- Fractions and Decimals
- Rounding Numbers
- Area, perimeter and Volume
- Shapes and Patterns
- Data handling
- Variable Expressions
- Coordinate Plane
- Financial Literacy