from a handpicked tutor in LIVE 1-to-1 classes
6th Grade Math
In Grade 6 a lot of topics from Grade 5 are done again but in more depth. Children get introduced to the concept of Algebra. They learn to work with algebraic expressions and linear equations. Applied math concepts like profit and loss, percentages, ratio and proportions. Geometry in Grade 6 covers working on different proofs.
Grade 6 Math Curriculum
The 6th grade math curriculum facilitates reasoning and analytical skills in students. Cuemath's 6th grade math curriculum is designed in such a way that the students are able to understand and solve the basic operations mentally. Here is the 6th grade curriculum with topics and subtopics.
What do 6th Graders Learn in Math?
- 10-digit numbers and their expanded form
- Numbers in Words for 10-digit numbers
- Comparing and Ordering 10-digit numbers
- Place Value for 10-digit numbers
- Roman numerals
- Unitary Method
- Whole Numbers
- Rational numbers
- Ratio and proportion
- Integers on a Number Line
- Absolute value
- Comparison of integers
- Addition and Subtraction of Integers
- Multiplication and Division of integers
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of whole numbers
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of fractions
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of decimals
- Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division of integers
- Percentage of numbers
- Convert between percent, fractions and decimals
- Find what percent one number is of another
- Solve percent problems
- Profit and loss
Addition and Subtraction
- Addition and subtraction with 9 digit numbers
- Addition and Subtraction of 9-digit numbers using place value
- Addition and Subtraction with more than 3 or more numbers.
- Solve problems that involve missing numbers.
Multiplication and Division
- Multiplication of 3-digits numbers.
- Division of multi-digit numbers by 2-digit numbers
- Estimating quotients
- Divisibility rules
- Factors and multiples
- Prime Factorization
- Prime Numbers
- GCF (Greatest Common Factor) of 3 numbers
- LCM (Least Common Multiple) of 3 or 4 numbers
- Understanding powers of 10
- Finding the missing exponent or base
- Identification of proper fractions, Improper fractions and mixed numbers.
- Equivalent fractions
- Comparing and ordering fractions
- Reducing fractions to lowest terms
- Conversion of fractions from improper to mixed fractions, Mixed fractions to improper fractions
- Addition and subtraction of fractions with like fractions and unlike fractions
- Multiplication of fractions
- Division of fractions
- All about decimals
- Equivalent decimals
- Rounding decimals
- Comparing decimals
- Adding and subtracting decimals
- Decimal Place values
- Convert decimals to fractions and convert fractions to decimals
- Addition and subtraction of decimals
- Multiplication of decimals
- Division of decimals
- Decimal Number Lines
- Repeating decimals
Perimeter and Area
- Perimeter of polygons
- Area of rectangles
- Area and perimeter word problems related to squares and rectangles
- Volume of cubes, prisms
- Surface Area of triangular pyramids
- Relate volume and surface area
- Measurement of time using units
- Convert time units
- Time zones
- Start and end times
- Time patterns
- Elapsed time
- Find start and end times
- Lines, line segments, rays
- Plane and solid shapes - Name the 2d shapes.
- Identifying 2d shapes and 3d shapes
- Nets of 3d shapes
- Count vertices, edges and faces
- Triangles and quadrilaterals
- Identifying cubes and rectangles
- Patterns - prediction of the next color, or object after observing the pattern.
- Angles - Acute angles, Obtuse angles, Right angles, Straight angles
- Measuring and drawing angles with a protractor.
- Parallel lines, perpendicular lines and intersecting lines
- Measurement of length, weight and capacity
- Measure and estimate length
- Unit comparisons
- Measure using a ruler and after taking the measurements, compare and order objects by length
- Compare the weights and volumes of different objects.
- Understanding Cubic units
- Reasonable temperature - Celsius and Fahrenheit
- Convert Fahrenheit to Celsius
- Convert Celsius to Fahrenheit
- Sale price
- Unit prices with conversions
- Simple Interest
Data Handling and Statistics
- Mean, median, mode
- Line plots, Interpret line plots
- Represent and interpret data by tally graphs, bar graphs
- Interpret data by picture graphs and bar graphs
- Create line plots and pictographs
- Probability of simple events and opposite events
- Interpret and create histograms
- Create and interpret line graphs
- Create stem and leaf plots
- Conversion and comparing money units
- Rounding money units
- Add, subtract, multiply, divide money units
- Word problems on money
Estimation and Rounding
- Estimate sums and differences.
- Estimate products
- Rounding numbers
- Describe the coordinate plane
- Analyze graph relationships
- Distance between 2 points
- Area and perimeter of squares and rectangles on the coordinate plane
- Write and evaluate variable expressions
- Solve equations with decimals and whole numbers
- Identify equivalent expressions
- One variable expressions
- Two-variable equations
- One variable inequalities
- Algebraic expressions
- Linear equations
- Income and Payroll taxes
- Identify types of taxes
- Evaluate payment methods
- Balance and adjust a budget
- Debit and credit cards
- Credit reports
6th Grade Math Curriculum
Grade 6 Math is sure a step up from what kids learned in Grade 5 Maths. But worry not, Cuemath tutors are here to help and ensure that your child has no difficulty in acing the curriculum with online tuition classes. Many kids encounter speed bumps of varying sizes on the road to Math proficiency. This is especially true in Grade 6 when so many new, often-complicated math theories and models come flying in from all directions. But Cuemath tutors can help overcome this fear in your child, and make a difference to their learning.
Online Math Tuition For Your Champ in Grade 6
From Ratio, Proportion, Unitary Method, & Percentages, there is no end to the number of ways your kid in Grade 6 can improve their Math skills. Engaging activities rather than boring worksheets enthrall the kids in a new learning experience, and Cuemath Tutors ensure that a strong emphasis is laid on conceptual understanding rather than repetitive drills. Each online tuition for your kid in Grade 6 will cover a new concept, and you will soon start to see significant improvement in their performance.
☛ Also Check: Interactive 6th Grade Math Worksheets
Finding a tutor for kids in Grade 6 just got easier!
Whether it’s Lines, Angles, Triangles, Quadrilaterals, and Circles, Cuemath tutors will help you and your child discover the best of Grade 6 Math. Understanding all the complexities of Grade 6 Math isn’t easy for most kids, but Cuemath’s online tuition can help smooth out the learning curve. Live & personalized, Cuemath tutors help bring out the best in your kid.
What are you waiting for? Help your Grade 6 kid fall in love with Math instead of dreading the subject. Tutor him online with Cuemath!
FAQs on 6th Grade Math
What Math do 6th Graders Learn?
6th grade Math mainly covers topics like operations with 10-digit numbers, multiplication and division, time conversion, fractions and decimals, more about 2d shapes and 3d shapes, rounding numbers, perimeter and area, volume, types of lines, measurement of length, weight and capacity, data handling, statistics, and word problems related to money. Apart from these, a few new topics are also introduced like rational numbers, integers, profit and loss, Algebraic expressions and so on. However, this curriculum may vary depending on the school.
Is 6th Grade Math Difficult?
No, 6th grade math is not difficult but it includes some new topics in the curriculum like rational numbers, integers, profit and loss, Algebraic expressions and so on. The topics of grade 6 make the students think, analyze and work in-depth using the concepts.
What do Sixth Graders Learn in Math?
A commonly asked question that occurs is, what should a 6th grader know in Math? So, a sixth-grader should know about the following concepts. A detailed list of the sub-topics is given above on this page for reference.
- Numbers upto 10 digits
- Addition and subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
- Fractions and Decimals
- Rounding Numbers
- Area, perimeter and Volume
- Shapes and Patterns
- Data handling
- Variable Expressions
- Coordinate Plane
- Financial Literacy
Why is Additional Tuition Needed for Your Child in Grade 6?
Students in Grade 6 start to learn a lot of new things and perform operations on algebraic expressions. Cuemath tutors will ensure that your kid has an easy transition from Grade 5 to Grade 6 and every online tuition will enable them to learn something new, be it Perimeter, Surface Area, and Volume. Our live online Math tuition sessions can help ease the learning curve for your kids in Grade 6. What are you waiting for, sign up for a free Math session with one of our expert teachers, and know-how private tuitions can add value for your little one in Grade 6.